Thread: will likely be fired : can i collect unemployment after 5 working months?

Default will likely be fired : can i collect unemployment after 5 working months?

Hi,
    I worked for the past 5 months (for the first 2.5 months I was ;tempingin then I got hired and now permanent on 3 months probation ending mid july) in a busy downtown firm;

When a new manager come on board I immediately felt her behave was strange on me: no eye contact, no "nice" good morning, come up to my desk rudely without saying even hello, and on and on...
    Even if this manager made me become permanent this strange behave continued and lately her rudeness (only on me, with other coworkers she smiles and politely talk and make jokes and stuff...) Become quite unaccectable and make my work very unconfortable, we have zero chemistry and when I go to work my mood goes down, she assignes to me "quick mission impossible project to be done in 2 days and "you have to stay overtime!...)
    I feel she is already planning to fire me
    My only option is to talk to the ceo but I'm afraid I will be the one that will be out anyway..
    Can I collect unemployment if I get fired and I worked for this company only 2.5 as a temp and 3 as permanent?
    My previous job in 2007 lasted 10 months from .march 2007 to dec 2007;
    Thank you

Super Moderator

Different states have different rules and I am not a UI expert. But presumably someone will jump in if I mess up the answer too badly. In general, UI works like this:
    - The state looks at the quality of the last termination to see if the employee is eligible for UI. Based on what you have said, you are likely to qualify.
    - However, and this is a big however, assuming that you qualify the state has something called a "look back" period that determines the amount of the benefits. This generally means that the state looks at wages earned around 7-18 months ago to determine the amount of the benefit.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)