Thread: Time card Adjustments California

Default Time card Adjustments California

Is it illegal for a company to enforce a policy that prohibits employees from making correction on their time cards (such as missed punch) by their supervisors?

Yes it is legal. If you are not to be making the changes yourself and do so anyway, you can be fired legally.

Super Moderator

Agreed. What little formal government rules that exists on time accounting applies to the employers, not the employees. The employers can maintain time accounting anyway the employer wishes because it is the employer who is going to be held responsible by the government for the end product.

HOWEVER, assuming that you are a Non-Exempt employee, the employer is required to pay you based on actual hours worked NO MATTER what the timesheet says. Time sheets are legally a little bitty side issue. The major issue is correctly paying for actual hours worked. If that is done, everything is fine, no matter what the time accounting says. If however the Non-Exempt is not paid based on actual hours worked, then there is a major problem no matter what the time accounting says. Any number of employers have lost in court trying to hide behind false timesheets.

Keep your own timesheets at home if you want. They will be every bit as "official" as the one's your employer keeps.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Default time sheets

But certain companies in California, do print-out time sheets, days before payday to properly compensate the individual due to missed punches. So are you telling me that if i forget to punch-in and work 8 hours the company is right in not paying me by prohibiting me from accessing my time sheets and requesting corrections?

No, we are saying that your employer is allowed to set the rules for correcting the timesheet and or ensuring you get paid for the time worked. That means it is legal to prohibit you yourself from making changes to the timesheet. Ask your employer how this should be handled.

Super Moderator

And we are saying that your employer is legally required to pay you for actual hours worked.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)