Thread: Full time / Part time Florida

Question Full time / Part time Florida

I just recently got a new job at a local grocery chain and I thought I was full time since I work 40 hours a week, every week. I recently noticed my check stubs say I am part time.. and hence I do not qualify for any of the company's full time employee benefits. Are there any laws or any legal actions that can be taken? My employer refuses to make me "full time" even though I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Florida law does not address this issue for purposes of benefit eligibility. If this schedule is intended to be permanent, contact HR for an explanation.

Super Moderator

BTW, no Federal law and no law in most states, including Florida, defines what is considered full time and part time. It is both possible and legal for full time to mean MORE than 40 hours a week. It would not change when overtime was due if you are non-exempt, but for purposes of benefits eligibility it is entirely possible for full time to mean 45 hours, 50 hours, or any other number that the employer and the insurance carrier agree on. I will grant you that I haven't seen it happen very often that full time for benefits means more than 40 hours a week, but I have seen it.

So you also need to check on what the benefits plan considers full time.