Thread: punching someones time card illegal??

Default punching someones time card ?

hi every one..great site..new bee here with a question?

ok at my work theres a guy there thats punch other peoples time cards..
    from what i heard he's been doing it for a long time like 6 or more years..
    hes a great guy but thats too much of him to do that.. makes me not want to work because the person is clock in and he's still on the way to work on the road or were ever he could be..he also clock someone at work when the person called him to clock her in and it was already 7:00 am thats when we start work but the person that was clocked came like 1 hour later..and not only that he clock someone that didnt come to work for the whole day but we found out and he cross it out but we never told the manger because he's been working there for a long time and they trust him to open in the mornings and i just dont know what to do..?

what are the consequence if he gets caught?

what will happen if the person that was clocked inn already but still on the way to work and some how the person got in a accident will my company have to pay for the damages of the accident if they find out that the person was clocked?

is punching someones time card illegal?

thanks very much..ps dont know if this is the correct spot to post this..please move..thanks
    Last edited by ricecooker; 12-19-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Super Moderator

what are the consequence if he gets caught?

If he is clocking people in when they are not actually present, I would fully expect him to be fired. I would also not be surprised if the employees who were falsely clocked in were to be fired as well.

what will happen if the person that was clocked inn already but still on the way to work and some how the person got in a accident will my company have to pay for the damages of the accident if they find out that the person was clocked?

No, the employee's time card having been already punched when they are not actually present does not make the employer liable.

is punching someones time card illegal?

It's not illegal in the sense that any law specifically prohibits it. However, what he is doing is helping other employees steal time, which is a termination offense.

thanks for the info...

Yowsa. The whole lot of them could well be fired - both the "nice guy" who is punching people in who are late/absent, as well as the employees who are submitting falsified time records. I have terminated employees for these very reasons. It's a HUGE honesty problem and absolutely is stealing from the company (being paid for time one didn't work.)

It's entirely up to you but you may want to mention the situation to your manager or HR in private.

We don't like having policies that no one reads and to address problems that never happen.

We do have a policy to address this situation, though. You punch another employee's time card and we catch you, you are done. Period. End of question. No discussion.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

I have fired numerous person for time card fraud doing exactly this. Its time theft and cost the compnay lits of dollars. I have not once gave any "chances" for this offense both the person doing the punch and the person was punched in were fired. Long as it was no accident or we cannot seem to prove that the person being punched was aware.

thanks for the advice peoples..by the way at my work they really dont seem to care about this i think... they care about more about there supplies that need to be shipped so they can keep up with production..i work at a electronic assmembly place so the more stuff they ship the more money they get..they dont really pay attention to employers as long as there working well some most sleep and move there hands around but thats when were not really busy but still..

also every year we get a bonus for christmas its like 300$cash and theres this one lady that use to work there but no really any more she come like 2 times a month now and they still let her work the last time she came was thanksgiving and i heard thats shes coming this friday when we get are bonus..that would really sucks if she get a bonus..will see..

thanks for your replys

Super Moderator

We've told you what can happen if the employer cares about this. If the employer doesn't care that this employee is ripping them off and helping his co-workers commit fraud, that's their outlook.

However, the employer not caring today does not mean that they will not start caring tomorrow.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Super Moderator

Quite true. I just didn't want the poster getting the idea that he can somehow force the employer to take action.