Thread: 17 Year Old Wants to Move Out? Missouri Missouri

Unhappy 17 Year Old Wants to Move Out? Missouri Missouri

Hello,

I am the parent of a 17 year old who does not want to follow the rules in the house like going to bed at a decent time, etc. He tells me he is going to move out and there is nothing I can do, which I found out by the police department that he can move out and I can not do anything about this! He is a senior this year and I want him to finish school. The stupid thing about this law is we as the parents are still responsible for him financially, medically, etc. But we have no control over if he gets to school or whatever he does this is a disgrace I am utterly sickened!! Does anyone out there no anything I can do about this I am heartbroken and I feel hopeless?

Thank-You,
    Rebecca Clause

The officer who told you that it is okay for your 17 year old MINOR to move out is an idiot...If your child leaves the home...report him as a runaway...If the police won't do anything about it go to the Chief...If they STILL won't do anything go to the Mayors office, the media...ect...Bring the state statutes with you that legally shoe that a 17 year old is a minor and tell them to do their job!

As for your child...Take away EVERTHING in his room except his bed, dresser, mirror and a change of clothing. No computer, phone ,parties...NO
    THING! If he wants the stuff back he better tow the line!
    Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.

Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Baystategirl View Post
    The officer who told you that it is okay for your 17 year old MINOR to move out is an idiot...If your child leaves the home...report him as a runaway...If the police won't do anything about it go to the Chief...If they STILL won't do anything go to the Mayors office, the media...ect...Bring the state statutes with you that legally shoe that a 17 year old is a minor and tell them to do their job!

As for your child...Take away EVERTHING in his room except his bed, dresser, mirror and a change of clothing. No computer, phone ,parties...NO
    THING! If he wants the stuff back he better tow the line!
    Just for clarity sake, I do believe it's 'toe the line' and not 'tow the line'.

I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but that does change the meaning of the phrase quite a bit.

As to the OP, if he runs, report him as a run-away. If nothing else, one would assume it would mitigate circumstances if they arose.

On an entirely different sort of note, and please understand I don't know you and yours, and I don't know your situation, but I would guess I'm quite a bit closer to 'used to be 17' than you were. I don't know how it was when you were growing up, with your friends, whatnot, but I remember when I was 17 I had a lot of trouble with people just trusting that I had an idea where I was going with my life. My parents had been divorced, mom had remarried to someone I /really/ did not get along with, and I felt rules were being imposed upon me without perspective of what /I/ felt I was going through.

I don't know if you've done this, I don't know if it would be something you would consider trying, but I know what I would have really liked at that time was a day of R&R with my mom, where we could have had some fun and bonded. This includes some parent to child talk, as well as some friend to friend talks.

When 17, I felt a lot of pressure about my impending 'adulthood', how, somehow, magically, over night, I went to being basically 100% responsible for myself, and part of that was feeling like I had to know I could make it on my own, which I'm sure instigated some of my pushing away of my parents.

I know you're probably at your wits end with them, but know that most likely they're just as scared and confused about what they're feeling as you are about how they're acting. Imposing stricter rules clashes with their internal mentality that they have to prepare to be an adult.

I'm not a parent, and I'm not a teen (any more), but I do remember what it was like, rather vividly, and it wasn't so much that nobody understood what I was feeling, but that it felt like nobody cared, so by default, they didn't understand... they couldn't, because they hadn't talked to me.

Take an R&R day with your son. Worst thing that could happen, is nothing could change, right? If you're still married to his father, have whichever one of you is/was closest to him go. One-on-one is, in my Used-To-Be-A-Teenager opinion, probably the most important for getting them to talk. Too many people being around could hamper the communication.

I know it's not what you were asking, and I know I'm not a professional or a parent, but I /was/ that 17 year old not to long ago.