Thread: Time off between shifts Missouri

Default Time off between shifts Missouri

I realize Missouri is a right to work state, but I have a question concerning required hours to work. I am required to work shifts that allow me only 4 hours of sleep between them. Is this legal? Is there any law that prevents an employer from demanding outrageous hour requirements that would force an employee to quit: I'm thinking an employer doesn't want to pay severance for firing an employee so they require crazy hours and thereby make the employee quit. Is there any law in Missouri that prevents employers from demanding 40 hours of consecutive work without a break? If there are laws that prohibit such an action, please cite the mandate in your answer.

Thanks,
    Andre

Super Moderator

Right to work means you cannot be forced to join a union to get work. It has nothing to do with this situation.

Unfortunately, there are no laws in any state (with very rare, industry specific exceptions) that require any particular time off between shifts. Back to back shifts would be legal in most industries.

Those exceptions that exist are those for which there is a public safety factor. Think airline pilot and truck driver.

In all states and for most industries, an employee could legally be required to work 24/7. It would be unbelievably stupid of an employer to do so, but it would be legal.

I do not disagree with you that there should be some expanded protections in this area, but my opinion does not make it illegal until some enlightened future president appoints me Labor Secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    until some enlightened future president appoints me Labor Secretary.

I am SO waiting for that!

Super Moderator

Does not your actual knowledge on the subject disqualify you for a senior position in government?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by DAW View Post
    Does not your actual knowledge on the subject disqualify you for a senior position in government?
    Oh, nuts.

Thanks guys for reposting so quickly. Sucks for me that no law forbids a crappy boss from taking advantage of the system for her sake. I guess I'm just going to have to mini unionize and plan a secret walkout....

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    I do not disagree with you that there should be some expanded protections in this area, but my opinion does not make it illegal until some enlightened future president appoints me Labor Secretary.
    If I was President, I would appoint you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

I ran DAW's question past my husband, who is by profession a political analyst/consultant, and he agreed with DAW's premise.

Super Moderator

Yea, that's the problem!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.