Thread: 501(c)3 organizations & political contributions New Jersey

Default 501(c)3 organizations & political contributions New Jersey

We are a large non-profit human services corporation. As compliance officer I ask our board members to complete and sign an annual conflict of interest document.
    I heard "through the grapevine" that there is a new law for non-profits in NJ, that we need to collect info on any political contributions our board members and executives make (with their personal money, of course that agency does not make such contributions.) I think I need to add this to the annual conflict of interest survey, but I'm having trouble finding the law.
    When I search laws on 501(c)3's and tax-exempt requirements, I am not finding such a law. Is the rumor I heard correct? Is is federal rather than NJ? Is it not tax law at all, but another type of law? Does a "political contribution" mean a campaign contribution to a candidate for office, or any contribution to a politically-oriented entity?
    Thanks for any help; my area is healthcare compliance, not tax law.

Super Moderator

I no longer work in the nonprofit arena, but the legislation you are seeking is called "pay to play".

http://www.njnonprofits.org/paytoplay05292007.html

Default Sorry I chose wrong forum

Wow, thanks. When I didn't get a response, I broadened my search of recent statutes and got the same exact website, in addition to others on pay-to-play.

Sorry I posted this under tax law, but I first thought it was related to tax-exempt status.

I'm interested in knowing how NJ non-profits who get state and local government contracts are planning how they will comply with the statute and the proposed regs.

Super Moderator

I've been out of the non-profit world for a few years now, but this looks to me like it would be a gigantic PITA for non-profits.

Especially since we get a lot of state funding, and have numerous state, county, and municipal contracts for providing services.

The good news is that those in our executive management don't donate a lot to political campaigns, parties, or PAC's. Good thing donating to charities for homeless animals isn't consider "political" or we'd be screwed (a lot of animal lovers here).

Our Board members, I don't know yet....