Thread: Rhode island Rhode Island speeding + Stop sign Violation

Default Rhode island Rhode Island speeding + Stop sign Violation

Well today i got a ticket for going 66 in a 50 mph zone, and from what everyone tells me i should just go to court and tell the judge about my good driving record. the other thing on my record in the last three years was a stop sign violation which i just paid bout 3 months ago. i really dont want this going on my record or going to my insurance company. so the question is should i just pay this ticket or take a chance at court w/ my prior stop sign violation just wondering if the judge will let me go or pay it.

Pretty much in rhode island from people i heard as long as you dont have any prior traffic violations in three years the judge will let yo go.

Buddy,

listen to me, u have listenting to the wrong people telling "tell the judge about your driving record yadi ya"

Now...Do not pay the ticket,number one rule.
    Call the court and set up an appointment,say to the clerk "u do not agree with the ticket" no worries...say that.

You will get a date set up for a hearing...pleade not guilty.

You will have your ticket dropped to a lower violation,that won't show up on your driving record and the f'n insurance companies won't know about it,and therefore can not use it against you by charging or should I say scamming you by charging for 3 long years for a silly ticket.F'N insurance companies!!!

Anyway...do that,u will however end up paying still the amount u would have paid or even maybe less...

Please do this...and mail me back and tell me "thank you"...

I am not just saying this...I have done 4 times,....also stop sign,speeding...no signal u name it.

However,remember as long as the tickets o got are basic violations,like nothing like an accident,hit and run dui etc, U'll be fine.

In other countries an Insurance company can ONLY raise your monthly payments,when they actually pay out because of you,either for your own damage or the other ones,as long as they do not have to touch their own money,the law is clear,they can not raise your payments,regardless if u got a speeding ticket etc etc....

In our country they use the ****ty excuse (traffic ticket means u are a higher risk) which is a cheap and unlogical excuse....imagine,your health insurance deduciable is getting higher eachtime u go to the doctor,or your monthly payments increase you get sick alot during the year lol would that make sence? not really huh...
    therefore I am still hoping something will change the way our insurance companies in our country violate alot of things to abuse the costumer by ripping them off and over charging them for unfair reasons...

In Ohio its 3 years in your driving record,therefor an insurance company will use the same 3 years to charge you more.

I remember,I got my first traffic ticket,for switching lanes,on the express way,from the middle lane to the right lane,without a signal (big deal huh) anyone does that....anyway, a cop gave me a ticket....it was maybe 80 bucks.
    Back then I had no knoweldge about going to court for it...

next thing I knOW my insurance company charged me 20 bucks more a month,for 3 full year,for that ticket....and anyone with an I.Q. will agree,thats the biggest BS in the history of our insurance system in our country.PERIOD!

We may not like it, but that is the way it is. If he pleads not guilty, there is no guarantee the ticket will be dropped, exspecially with the proof that he sped. If he can not prove why he "did not speed", and is not guilty, which is the reason for asking for a trial, then the judge can impose additional charges for him wasting the taxpayers money, and his/her time, that could be spent dealing with real criminals, and just the simple costs of the trial that he asked for because he said he is not guilty, when he is, and if he was clocked and filmed speeding (by a police cam), there is no fighting it!! He could ask about driving school, since his record is pretty good, and it takes the "points" off of his record, that makes his insurance go up. In some situations, if you complete a course like this, before you go to court, the judge will possibly drop the charges, or lower it extremely. My friend pleaded not guilty, and when she went to court, and could not prove WHY she was not guilty, the judge upped the amount of the ticket, which a judge has every right to do. Watch what you advise people, just because it was one way with you, does not mean it will be one way with the judges in his state. I would consult a traffic attorney for advise if you can afford a simple consultation, and ask what can you do for me, what can I do for myself. By the way, even tickets for not wearing a seatbelt shows up on your record, and the insurance company, and the judge sees everything, so you saying that a lower violation will not show up, is bogus and a lie!! Are you an attorney?? Oh, he does not need to tell the judge anything about his record, it will be right in front of him when he goes in the first time, to plea guilty or not guilty.
    Last edited by turbowray; 04-15-2007 at 08:26 PM.

It can be worthwhile to go to court and try to negotiate something with the prosecutor. There's no harm in asking. At very least, they should be able to explain options like traffic school, nolo, etc.

If you do go to trial, there could be additional court costs tacked on. I suppose it depends on the court. The judge that I see most of the time cuts people a lot of breaks if they show up. Sometimes, they get breaks after he finds them guilty after a trial.

I doubt that's the case in most courts, but it is what I've seen. I think things in my county are more about justice than in a lot of places. I've never seen anyone in my county get worried about how much money comes in from fines.
    Last edited by Billy Mack; 04-15-2007 at 08:46 PM.

I only wish my friend was so lucky to get a break for putting in a plea of not guilty. Thank you so much for your input, I respect your opinions very much here!!

A lesser ticket will still show up on your driving record. Whatever the ticket, unless it is dropped to a nonmoving violation, it will be counted on your insurance. Courses remove the points, but insurance companies look at the violation, not the points. AZ is the only state that I am aware of, in which the violation is actually completely removed, based on a course.

Quote Originally Posted by moburkes View Post
    A lesser ticket will still show up on your driving record. Whatever the ticket, unless it is dropped to a nonmoving violation, it will be counted on your insurance. Courses remove the points, but insurance companies look at the violation, not the points. AZ is the only state that I am aware of, in which the violation is actually completely removed, based on a course.
    Thank you Moburks, would the insurance company take into consideration, the completion of a course, when computing what the cost of the insurance coverage would be? It would be a shame, if he paid the same as one who had the same ticket, but did not take the time or initiative to complete a course, that could make him a better safer driver.

Quote Originally Posted by turbowray View Post
    Thank you Moburks, would the insurance company take into consideration, the completion of a course, when computing what the cost of the insurance coverage would be? It would be a shame, if he paid the same as one who had the same ticket, but did not take the time or initiative to complete a course, that could make him a better safer driver.
    As long as the course is not mandatory, and he's not a young driver, yes.

I agree, each court is different...but all i was advicing was,not to pay the ticket and request a court date,for a hearing or whatever...

I am very sure he'll get some deal...remember as far court and cops and prostecutor goes..they care about getting some money in...not the actually driving record or points for silly tickets...

I am sure most courts and judges do not wanna waste their time having an actually trial for a traffic ticket about silly speeding,or not stoping at a stop sign etc red light etc...u know..as long as no accident was invlove and nothing serious etc...they'll give you a break.

I always ask them or told them "I just don;t want this violation on my driving record because of my insurance,what can we do" usually they change the violation toa break violation,which is not cosidered a moving violation,so u still pay a fee and what not,but its not in your driving record.

Also, lets say,they won't give you a deal etc, you can get a lawyer and can even appeal the decision...and lots of attorneys know the judges and prostecutors and they'll talk "hey lets give him abreak etc,he won't do it again etc" and they'll know upaid the attorney 400 or 500 bucks for this...and u know they know eachother well and always talk within eachother lets do this and that,no big deal...

Like I said,only on silly tickets though,nothing serious or anything...

Good Luck though, keep us updated....

Quote Originally Posted by HBK View Post
    I agree, each court is different...but all i was advicing was,not to pay the ticket and request a court date,for a hearing or whatever...

I am very sure he'll get some deal...remember as far court and cops and prostecutor goes..they care about getting some money in...not the actually driving record or points for silly tickets...

I am sure most courts and judges do not wanna waste their time having an actually trial for a traffic ticket about silly speeding,or not stoping at a stop sign etc red light etc...u know..as long as no accident was invlove and nothing serious etc...they'll give you a break.

I always ask them or told them "I just don;t want this violation on my driving record because of my insurance,what can we do" usually they change the violation toa break violation,which is not cosidered a moving violation,so u still pay a fee and what not,but its not in your driving record.

Also, lets say,they won't give you a deal etc, you can get a lawyer and can even appeal the decision...and lots of attorneys know the judges and prostecutors and they'll talk "hey lets give him abreak etc,he won't do it again etc" and they'll know upaid the attorney 400 or 500 bucks for this...and u know they know eachother well and always talk within eachother lets do this and that,no big deal...

Like I said,only on silly tickets though,nothing serious or anything...

Good Luck though, keep us updated....
    Thanks for the clarification, it meant alot and made sense this time around lol! Thanks for your input here, I look forward to more in the future!