Thread: Is it leagal to move out when 17? New York

Exclamation Is it leagal to move out when 17? New York

my friend has just moved out at age 17, was taken to court by his parents, then he won the case because the judge supposidly said that at 17 you can move out in the state of new york without parental permission, is this true???

Not usually, but if a judge said so, it is so.

Much law is created from precedence. It sounds like your friend's judge is doing just that.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

I think your friend has not told you the complete story. It takes time for his parents to petition to have him labeled dilenquent, for him to fight it, for it to make it to court and for him to win.

You said he "has just moved out." I doubt that if his move is recent, than his case is over. It may be more likely that the police won't return him or a judge has let him stay where he is staying pending his court date.

Where is he living now? If he is with a family member, it may make a difference.

It may also be relevant when he turns 18. If he will likely turn 18 before or near the time when a delinquency case can be decided, then the court may see no value in spending resources on the case.

Since there is no process for emancipation in NY (no statute), then a judge may allow the minor to live away from his parents if he is self supporting. But if all this is true, then he needs to keep in mind that he has completely given up any rights to return to his parents' home. If he gets in trouble, loses his place to live, or even just needs bus fare, he is on his own. He no longer can ask for help from Mommy & Daddy EVER, so I hope it was really worth it.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)