Thread: Can I leave home at 17? South Carolina

Default Can I leave home at 17? South Carolina

If I live in South Carolina, if it legal for me to leave home at 17?

No, it is not. You can legally leave home at 18.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Thumbs up Your 17 And Can Leave Home !

Okay Listen Everyone Who Asks The Question "is 17 A Legal Age To Leave Your Home In South Carolina"....

No, Of Course Its Not Legal To Leave !..but It Is (i Repeat, It Is Allowed)...18 Is Considered An Adult...17 Is A Legal Age To Decide Whether You Want To Remain At Home Or Not !. The Cops Cannot Do Anything To You If You Decide Not To Go Back Home. I Know This From Experience...living In South Carolina For 6 Years And Leaving The House At 17 Yrs Of Age And Knowing A Cop. My Mom Tried To Get Me For Runaway And Missing Child But The Cops Could Not Do Anything About It. Yes The Cops Found Me And Asked Me If I Was Okay And If I Wanted To Go Back Home, But I Told Them No And They Left Me Alone !...you Dont Even Have To Get Emancipated At 17....you Can Just Leave. And If You Decide To Go Back Home, Your Parents Have To Let You Bc They Are Legally Responsible For You Up Until The Age Of 18. They Cannot Kick You Out Without Being Charged With Neglect....i Know This From The Cop That Had Helped Me Get Away From An Abusive Position. So Please, Everyone Who Says No That You Cannot Leave South Carolina At 17, You Are Wrong. You Can Leave...doesnt Make It A Legal Move But Legal Enough To Where The Cops Cannot Do Anything About It.
    18 Is Just The Legal Age To Be Considered An Adult..and Where Shelters And Housing Will Be Provided....17 Is The Age Required To Leave Your Mother/father In South Carolina !..now, About Moving Out At 17 And Leaving For Another State Is Different.

What is it with the caps, Kelly?

Smile

Well obviously I had my keyboard on caps lock...didnt mean anything by the caps..just had them on..

Good. Now, put your thinking cap on and quit giving out incorrect, fraudulent information. It is not "allowed" for a minor to leave home. If it is not LEGAL, it's not ALLOWED.

All a parent has to do is get a court order to force you home.
    Last edited by mommyof4; 03-28-2007 at 11:17 AM.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

And you should also be forewarned that if you think you have the power to put conditions on your parents, and if they refuse and you leave, SC has laws against that:

From SECTION 20-7-6605 (8): "Status offense" means an offense which would not be a misdemeanor or felony if committed by an adult including, but not limited to, incorrigibility or beyond the control of parents, truancy, running away...

and

SECTION 20-7-7210 (E): A child who is taken into custody because of a violation of law which would not be a criminal offense under the laws of this State if committed by an adult must not be placed or ordered detained in an adult detention facility. A child who is taken into custody because of a violation of the law which would not be a criminal offense under the laws of this State if committed by an adult must not be placed or ordered detained more than twenty-four hours in a juvenile detention facility, unless an order previously has been issued by the court, of which the child has notice and which notifies the child that further violation of the court's order may result in the secure detention of that child in a juvenile detention facility. If a juvenile is ordered detained for violating a valid court order, the juvenile may be held in secure confinement in a juvenile detention facility for not more than seventy-two hours, excluding weekends and holidays. However, nothing in this section precludes a law enforcement officer from taking a status offender into custody.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t20c007.htm

You can be taken into custody if you decide to leave.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

plus if you can't enter into any kind of contract (apt lease, etc) then you have to be planning on staying with someone over 18 and they can be arrested and charged for harboring a runaway

Look here, mommy of 4...why dont you slow down on having some kids, get off the **** computer and go tend to all those kids you have !..
    I believe this site is for stating opinions, not ridiculing on everyone else and what they have been through or know !...I lived in south carolina for 6 years, i ran away, been through it all !...My mom called kidnapping charges, run away charges, and even tried to put me out as a missing person !...When OFFICER FLOOD found me and asked me some questions and asked me if i wanted to go back home and after telling him NO he stated that "17 is a proposed age to leave home (not meaning it is legal to where you will have legal helpings on finding a place to stay), but that i could and would not get in trouble for it !...Maybe when one of your kids gets old enough, move to SC, treat them like ****, have them run away and then try doing something about it once they are 17 bc nothing will happen to them !...They are allowed to make a decision at that age on where they want to live as long as it is not against the child's will !...

Quote Originally Posted by staraej00 View Post
    Well obviously I had my keyboard on caps lock...didnt mean anything by the caps..just had them on..
    Right, Kelly. Only the first letter was capitalized.

Stop giving out bad information.

Why is it that when mommyof4 corrects someone, they immediately dismiss her because she has 4 children? As if being capable of caring for four children somehow renders her incapable of being able to comprehend or interpret the law. My mother had 5 children, and she is pretty much the wisest person I know, except for my sister, who has 6. Only someone packed with ignorance would equate fertility with idiocy.

The question was, "If I live in South Carolina, is it legal for me to leave home at 17?" The answer, even according to YOU, is no, it is not legal. A parent may have a hard time getting the child back home at 17, but it all depends on the circumstance. But, as everyone INCLUDING YOU has said, it's not LEGAL.

This site is not for expressing opinions. That is what MySpace is for. This site is sharing legal experiences. While everyone can appreciate YOUR experience with the legal system, it does not somehow make leaving home at 17 in SC a legal event.

Unless OFFICER FLOOD (I don't know why you felt the need to capitalize it, but I'll play along) has a law degree, he is not trained to interpret the laws in that manner. He enforces them. He is not trained to hand out legal information, though.

Look, get as mad as you want. But talking to another poster when technically, you agreed with her, in the manner you just did, is a disgusting display of your true character, not to mention your lack of anger management skills. You may have gotten away from your parents, but you obviously still needed guidance from someone, becasue you sure did turn out to be a rotten human being.

Default oh sorry, didnt realize you had a law degree in every state !.haha

myspace is for meeting people, making new friends or relationships...not stating opinions...What do you think everyone is doing on this website? Talking about their past experiences with the law and what they have been through...everyone has been through something different and experienced something different so therefore it makes conversation/posts between everyone and everyone trying to prove the other person wrong !...
    You can call me a rotten human being or think whatever you would like to about me...you personally dont know the type of person i am and what i have been through and experienced myself in life !...I have a child myself...so im not "hating" on someone else having kids....you would just think that with 4 kids she would be pretty busy and doing something else on her time rather then trying to prove everyone wrong on this website !...
    Listen, I know that if you leave home at 17 the cops cannot do anything to you...You wont get in trouble...Now as of staying with someone and them getting charged with "hovering a runaway", i dont know how that goes. I was living with a close friend of mine and her parents when Officer Flood came to the house....none of them got into any trouble. Children or teens that are suffering an abusive, violent household or sexual abuse ALWAYS can find a way out !...No matter the age !..Now just like you said...this website is for people to express theire past law experiences.....WELL THATS WHAT I DID SO LAY OFF ME !...go look through someone else's threads they have posted and pick on them bc you and mommyof4 must have a law degree in every single state...you must be an all around perfect mother....you know EVERYTHING !....

myspace is for meeting people, making new friends or relationships...not stating opinions...What do you think everyone is doing on this website? Talking about their past experiences with the law and what they have been through...everyone has been through something different and experienced something different so therefore it makes conversation/posts between everyone and everyone trying to prove the other person wrong !...
    You can call me a rotten human being or think whatever you would like to about me...you personally dont know the type of person i am and what i have been through and experienced myself in life !...I have a child myself...so im not "hating" on someone else having kids....you would just think that with 4 kids she would be pretty busy and doing something else on her time rather then trying to prove everyone wrong on this website !...
    Listen, I know that if you leave home at 17 the cops cannot do anything to you...You wont get in trouble...Now as of staying with someone and them getting charged with "hovering a runaway", i dont know how that goes. I was living with a close friend of mine and her parents when Officer Flood came to the house....none of them got into any trouble. Children or teens that are suffering an abusive, violent household or sexual abuse ALWAYS can find a way out !...No matter the age !..Now just like you said...this website is for people to express theire past law experiences.....WELL THATS WHAT I DID SO LAY OFF ME !...go look through someone else's threads they have posted and pick on them bc you and mommyof4 must have a law degree in every single state...you must be an all around perfect mother....you know EVERYTHING !....
    Well, sweet cheeks, it just so happens that I am as smart as all get out. (Truly). It also so happens that I lived 3 minutes from the SC border for 10 years. I'm pretty sure that the law that was quoted for your perusal (Uh-oh. Big word. Get a dictionary) is accurate, whereas your OPINION is not. I also happen to have had personal experiences (my sister, her friends) with this exact issue. The only reason you were not forced to return home is because your parents didn't push the issue. You will notice that I did not counter your inaccurate post with a "personal experience." I cited a statute. (admittedly lifted from another poster because it just so happened that was the exact one I was looking for).

My children are at school today (well, school and mother's day out). I have all the time in the world to show up your ignorance. To answer your "insult", I am a great mother. Thank you.

This site is NOT for your opinion and unless you can back up your opinion with a legal statute that supports your argument, I will begin reporting every post in which you tell minors that it is okay to illegally leave home.

There is a way to handle abusive home lives. Running away isn't it.
    Last edited by mommyof4; 03-28-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

All this post really did was prove my point that you are just a nasty little thing. Also, you sound like a big cry baby.

You do not know that if you leave home at 17 nothing will happen. You know that when YOU left home at 17, nothing happend. But, again, according to your own posts, you are well aware that it is NOT LEGAL to leave home at 17. And Telling minors to leave home at 17 is irresponsible, and encourageing an abuse vicitim to run away is actually dangerous.

I don't have a law degree in every state. But I do know how to read the statutes of every state, and you, bratty one, are wrong.

Is this how you deal with everyone who disagrees with you? You are wretched.

I really REALLY hate to inform all of you. It is legal to leave your parents at the age of seventeen. There is nothing the parents can do, unless the child is misbehaving. Although, until the child is 18 years of age, the parent has to allow the child to come back into their home if that is what the child wishes to do. If you all do not believe me, call a South Carolina Sheriff's Department. Any county of your choice. They will inform you that when you all were jumping down that girls fault, she was indeed correct. Your states laws may be different. South Carolina's laws, I know. I have lived here my whole life!!

This thread is from 2006. Please start a new thread, and do not bring up 7 year old subjects.

Either post laws stating your position, or move on, on a new thread.

Super Moderator

I'm going to close this thread from 2007. If annahmikail711 has a question, they can start a new thread.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.