Thread: Is this Abandonment Georgia

Default Is this Abandonment Georgia

I have 2 children by my girlfriend. we have been apart for2 mths now. She left the kids with me and has come to see them a few times but hasgave no money for support or anything, eventhough she has a job & says she took it to support the kids. Our children have my last name but are not legitimized. What should I do. How do I make the law work for me & the kids. What are the steps. IE have her arrested for abandonment then what

Default It is not abandonment

As I understand it Untill and unless the parent has no contact and no support for over 12 months it is not considered abandonment.

Go imediately and file for Full Custody. If the children legally have your last name they are legitimate. Did you sign the birth certificate or apply to have your last name added to the birth certificates?

If you wait to get custody established it will come back to bite you in the _ss again and again. The number ONE thing you need to do is establish full custody as soon as humanly possible. Hire a lawyer, even if you can't afford one, you will need one.

Quote Originally Posted by georgia joe View Post
    I have 2 children by my girlfriend. we have been apart for2 mths now. She left the kids with me and has come to see them a few times but hasgave no money for support or anything, eventhough she has a job & says she took it to support the kids. Our children have my last name but are not legitimized. What should I do. How do I make the law work for me & the kids. What are the steps. IE have her arrested for abandonment then what
    Are you the legal father (are you on the birth cerificate or have you setablished paternity)? If not, you need to take care of that FIRST. If you are not their legal father, then Mom has sole custody, and can come back whenever she pleases and take the kids with her.

From what you have written, she has not abandoned the children. She left them with their father, and she has come to visit. To abandon them, she would have to be gone with zero contact for much longer.

go file for sole custody based on being their father (if you are the LEGAL father) and primary caregiver and the fact that their mother left them with you.