Thread: Union talk on Company time/ Wisconsin

Default Union talk on Company time/ Wisconsin

Are there any guidelines or laws concerning conducting Union business on company property or time. Specifically, if there is a union issue that an employee needs to talk to union rep about, are they allowed to do so at work and during working hours? Our supervisors and management have told us "no union business on company time". Even if they see us talking for a few minutes we're told this. When exactly are we supposed to have any conversations with individual employees about issues they are concerned about? For example if they are written up for something?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by mlellis212 View Post
    Are there any guidelines or laws concerning conducting Union business on company property or time. Specifically, if there is a union issue that an employee needs to talk to union rep about, are they allowed to do so at work and during working hours? Our supervisors and management have told us "no union business on company time". Even if they see us talking for a few minutes we're told this. When exactly are we supposed to have any conversations with individual employees about issues they are concerned about? For example if they are written up for something?

Thanks...
    In general, Labor Laws do not give workers the right to conduct Union business on the employer's time. The right to do so is often present due to a Collective Bargaining Agreement. Example: the law does not give us the right to file grievances on company time, but the Collective Bargaining Agreement says that we can.

We have the right to speak to our Union Steward during a break or during a meal period, if the Collective Bargaining Agreement does not give us the right while we are working.

If we are allowed to speak while working (i.e., How was your weekend?, Did you see the game last night?, My son won first place in his competition., etc.) I see no reason why we can't speak about the Union.

The law does give us the right to "concerted activity" for the purpose of mutual aid and protection. Example: The US Supreme Court, in the 1975 Weingarten Decision, ruled that Union Members have a right to Union Representation when he/she is asked questions by a superior and he/she has a reasonable belief that he/she may be disciplined or harmed due to answering the questions.

This link, www.workrightspress.com/lrus.html, will provide you with more information.

Good luck!
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Thanks for the inf....I think we might have to see if we can bargin SOMETHING of that sort into the new contract...so we are not harrassed everytime we have a 5 minute conversation!

So, if I understand your concern here, you want the CBA to overtly state that you are permitted to discuss union-related business while being paid by the employer for its business purposes?

I am constantly amazed at the number of people that fail to understand the link between being paid by an employer and actually performing work for the pay received.

I'd make any bet that if they owned the business they would have a slightly different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I am constantly amazed at the number of managers that fail to understand the link between job security and productivity.
    I'd make any bet that if they understood a days work they would have a slightly different opinion.
    JoeC
    So, employees are only willing to work hard and be productive if they are guaranteed continued employment? So much for pride ...

And, do you allege managers, and even non-union personnel for that matter, do not work hard and/or put in a solid day's work?
    Last edited by rjc; 01-19-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Default Union Labor

Most of the hardest working people I have ever known are UNION Members. UNION Members are the most productive workers in the world. Nobody works harder. Nobody takes more pride in their work.

Look for the UNION Label. Buy American! Buy UNION!
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Wow...I did not expect this to become such a debate. I am not talking about carrying on 30 minute conversations here. I am talking about a 5 minute conversation...generaly while one person is on their break and the other is still doing their job. We are seeing alot more write-ups and disciplinary actions lately and need the opportunity to talk with these people.

Joec you have a very valid point:

All though yes it is true employees who feel their jobs are secure,are far more productive in the long run. It's not that mangers don't work hard (they do) their are many that don't seem to grasp the fact that employees only have two hands,and their are only 8 hours in a shift.

This may be a totally different subject, but the moral at my place of employment is at an all time low right now with the implementation of Lean Manufacturing. The company has been adding job duties to our jobs and basically "cramming it down our throats" telling us that if we can't do the jobs, they will find people who can so...employees feel their jobs are threatened. It seems that our union reps have been needing to "put out alot of fires lately".

Quote Originally Posted by unionwayne View Post
    Most of the hardest working people I have ever known are UNION Members. UNION Members are the most productive workers in the world. Nobody works harder. Nobody takes more pride in their work.

Look for the UNION Label. Buy American! Buy UNION!
    With all due respect, it is merely your opinion that union members are the most productive workers in the world. While I willingly stipulate that many union members are very hard-working people, I will add that they are no more hard-working than many other non-union workers I have dealt with over the years nor do they take more pride in their work than others. To infer otherwise is unfair and narrow-minded.

Default rjc

Just a bit of advice....it is useless to debate with JoeC. In his mind unions are always good, management is always bad and all problems can be solved by joining a union.

Super Moderator

Jake, the only problem with that is that it was not Joe who made the comment rjc is referring to...

I was referring to RJC's response #8 to JoeC's post # 7

Super Moderator

Ah, it looked like you were responding to his response to Wayne.

Sorry about that.

Joe, I completely agree....with your fifth sentence You and I will never see the world the same way but I completely respect and will defend your right to have an incorrect opinion.

I am finished with this topic and suggest we both go our own ways.

The old "Union's only protect the bad employees" rhetoric is as outdated as Disco and leisure suits. We operate in a global economy now where positional based bargaining has been replaced by interest based bargaining. When both sides understand where the other side is coming from, stereotypes go by the wayside.