Thread: Citation for Expired Tags in TN - any suggestions? Tennessee

Arrow Citation for Expired Tags in TN - any suggestions? Tennessee

Last night I was pulled over in a town not far from where I live because my tags (unbeknownst to me) expired after October. I'm 24 and considered legally disabled, and except for my parents providing most of what I need financially, I have little income of my own.

I've only had one citation since the age of 18. It was for a small collision around three years ago, and I've never been cited for out of date tags before. In the past I was sent a notice annually about my tags, and my father usually just pays for the new tags and gives me the sticker, but apparently their was some sort of mix up with the notice this year (provided we even received one).

Considering my rather limited means and the fact that I have a fair driving record, I was hoping I might be able to fight the ticket somehow -- by mail or other remote means if possible. If anyone has any advice on how I might go about doing so (or advice in general) I would appreciate it greatly.

Being disabled isn't a defense to a crime. Driver's are responsible for the condition of the vehicle that they drive. I don't know what your disability is, but if you're not capable of that, then maybe you shouldn't be driving.

That being said, you may get a break if you get the tag renewed. The goal is to get people to comply with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mack View Post
    Being disabled isn't a defense to a crime. Driver's are responsible for the condition of the vehicle that they drive. I don't know what your disability is, but if you're not capable of that, then maybe you shouldn't be driving.

That being said, you may get a break if you get the tag renewed. The goal is to get people to comply with the law.
    Thank you for the advice and taking time to respond. I'm actually about to head over the courthouse to renew the tags. I really never intended to let them get out of date, but I don't drive all that much and I actually had no clue they had expired (as I mentioned, I don't remember getting a notice). The only reason I mentioned being disabled is because I don't have a lot of money to pay towards fines. It just seems kind of harsh to fine around 10% of my monthly income over an honest (and technically harmless) mistake. I'm guessing based on what you said that I probably shouldn't even bring up lack of income, however.

I certainly hope you're right about them being lenient for those willing to comply. But being the cynical old man that I am (at 24 no less), I suspect that they will probably be far more interested in extracting money than actually enforcing the law. But perhaps if I show them that I renewed the tags the next morning and act nice to the judge I might get lucky.

Anyway, thanks again and sorry for rambling.

Default Yeah, that helps actually.

If you do renew the tag, and bring proof it does look alot better for you. I have had several tickets of that sort dismissed and only had to pay costs which were much cheaper than the ticket.

What they really want its the TAX you pay to get the tags.

Governments always put taxes first.