Thread: Restoration of rights? New York/ North Carolina

Default Restoration of rights? New York/ North Carolina

In 1991 I was convicted of felony DWI (class D I think) in New York State.
    It was a non injury case, NY law states that if a person has two DWI`s within ten years the second is automatically a felony...regardless of circumstances. Mine were five years apart.
    I was sentenced to three years probation, which I was released from early for good behavior.
    Upon completing probation my probation officer gave me a restoration of rights to own a firearm for hunting purposes.(which I think is now useless since the Brady bill?) And had my driving privileges restored.

Fast forward to today.
    I have been living in the state of North Carolina for ten years.
    I am a responsible, sober and law abiding citizen, a home owner with good credit and a good job and family, and have had no legal trouble aside from a few traffic tickets since being released from probation.
    Is it possible to get a pardon/ full restoration of rights from New York State?
    How would I go about it?
    What type of lawyer handles these cases, and what is it likely to cost?

Would the state of North Carolina recognize this?

EDIT: I`m not sure which forum I should have posted this in, so if moderators feel it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by Dooley; 12-14-2006 at 06:38 PM.

You may be eligible for expungement... though it is typically only granted for misdemeanors.

Shop for a lawyer authorized in both jurisdictions and pay for an hour of time to pick his/her brain.

Good luck.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Quote Originally Posted by cyjeff View Post
    You may be eligible for expungement... though it is typically only granted for misdemeanors.

Shop for a lawyer authorized in both jurisdictions and pay for an hour of time to pick his/her brain.

Good luck.
    Yes, I am aware that I will need to talk to a lawyer, however I am looking for some more specific info before I spend the money on one if possible.
    What type of lawyer handles these cases would be a good start.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    In 1991 I was convicted of felony DWI (class D I think) in New York State.
    It was a non injury case, NY law states that if a person has two DWI`s within ten years the second is automatically a felony...regardless of circumstances. Mine were five years apart.
    I was sentenced to three years probation, which I was released from early for good behavior.
    Upon completing probation my probation officer gave me a restoration of rights to own a firearm for hunting purposes.(which I think is now useless since the Brady bill?) And had my driving privileges restored.

Fast forward to today.
    I have been living in the state of North Carolina for ten years.
    I am a responsible, sober and law abiding citizen, a home owner with good credit and a good job and family, and have had no legal trouble aside from a few traffic tickets since being released from probation.
    Is it possible to get a pardon/ full restoration of rights from New York State?
    How would I go about it?
    What type of lawyer handles these cases, and what is it likely to cost?

Would the state of North Carolina recognize this?

EDIT: I`m not sure which forum I should have posted this in, so if moderators feel it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it.

This link should be able to answer your questions. http://www.duiexpungement.com/common...xpungement.asp
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Just asking View Post
    This link should be able to answer your questions. http://www.duiexpungement.com/common...xpungement.asp
    Good luck.
    Checked out the site, filled out the requisite info, gave them my e-mail addy, three or four weeks ago.
    Have not heard a Peep from them.