Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Restoration of rights? New York/ North Carolina

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default Restoration of rights? New York/ North Carolina

    In 1991 I was convicted of felony DWI (class D I think) in New York State.
    It was a non injury case, NY law states that if a person has two DWI`s within ten years the second is automatically a felony...regardless of circumstances. Mine were five years apart.
    I was sentenced to three years probation, which I was released from early for good behavior.
    Upon completing probation my probation officer gave me a restoration of rights to own a firearm for hunting purposes.(which I think is now useless since the Brady bill?) And had my driving privileges restored.

    Fast forward to today.
    I have been living in the state of North Carolina for ten years.
    I am a responsible, sober and law abiding citizen, a home owner with good credit and a good job and family, and have had no legal trouble aside from a few traffic tickets since being released from probation.
    Is it possible to get a pardon/ full restoration of rights from New York State?
    How would I go about it?
    What type of lawyer handles these cases, and what is it likely to cost?

    Would the state of North Carolina recognize this?

    EDIT: I`m not sure which forum I should have posted this in, so if moderators feel it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by Dooley; 12-14-2006 at 06:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,179

    Default

    You may be eligible for expungement... though it is typically only granted for misdemeanors.

    Shop for a lawyer authorized in both jurisdictions and pay for an hour of time to pick his/her brain.

    Good luck.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

    I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

    Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyjeff View Post
    You may be eligible for expungement... though it is typically only granted for misdemeanors.

    Shop for a lawyer authorized in both jurisdictions and pay for an hour of time to pick his/her brain.

    Good luck.
    Yes, I am aware that I will need to talk to a lawyer, however I am looking for some more specific info before I spend the money on one if possible.
    What type of lawyer handles these cases would be a good start.
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    In 1991 I was convicted of felony DWI (class D I think) in New York State.
    It was a non injury case, NY law states that if a person has two DWI`s within ten years the second is automatically a felony...regardless of circumstances. Mine were five years apart.
    I was sentenced to three years probation, which I was released from early for good behavior.
    Upon completing probation my probation officer gave me a restoration of rights to own a firearm for hunting purposes.(which I think is now useless since the Brady bill?) And had my driving privileges restored.

    Fast forward to today.
    I have been living in the state of North Carolina for ten years.
    I am a responsible, sober and law abiding citizen, a home owner with good credit and a good job and family, and have had no legal trouble aside from a few traffic tickets since being released from probation.
    Is it possible to get a pardon/ full restoration of rights from New York State?
    How would I go about it?
    What type of lawyer handles these cases, and what is it likely to cost?

    Would the state of North Carolina recognize this?

    EDIT: I`m not sure which forum I should have posted this in, so if moderators feel it belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it.

    This link should be able to answer your questions. http://www.duiexpungement.com/common...xpungement.asp
    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just asking View Post
    This link should be able to answer your questions. http://www.duiexpungement.com/common...xpungement.asp
    Good luck.
    Checked out the site, filled out the requisite info, gave them my e-mail addy, three or four weeks ago.
    Have not heard a Peep from them.

Similar Threads

  1. North Carolina Labor Law Posters
    By laborlaw in forum North Carolina Labor Laws
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 03:18 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 05:57 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
  4. What are my rights? North Carolina North Carolina
    By kwise in forum North Carolina Family Law
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •