Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Virginia Lunch Break and Overtime Rules/Law Virginia

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default Virginia Lunch Break and Overtime Rules/Law Virginia

    I'm an employer, our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (with 1 hour unpaid lunch) Mon - Fri (a 40 hour week). Can an employee opt out of lunch, or work through it, and expect 1 hour overtime for the day, providing they work 40 hours for the week? Just to clarify, an employee would work from 8-5, Mon - Fri and earn 40 regular hours and 5 overtime hours.

    It seems to me that overtime hours are earned outside of normal business hours. Am I mistaken? We have also had employees that didn't take a lunch during the typical lunch hours (11-2) and wanted to leave at 4:00 for lunch, not coming back to work.

    Thanks for your help in clearing this issue up.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    5,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krayola View Post
    I'm an employer, our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (with 1 hour unpaid lunch) Mon - Fri (a 40 hour week). Can an employee opt out of lunch, or work through it, and expect 1 hour overtime for the day, providing they work 40 hours for the week? Just to clarify, an employee would work from 8-5, Mon - Fri and earn 40 regular hours and 5 overtime hours.
    If the employee works mor than 40 hours in a work week, you have no choice but to pay the overtime on the hours worked over 40.

    You do not have to allow that to happen, though.



    Quote Originally Posted by krayola View Post
    It seems to me that overtime hours are earned outside of normal business hours. Am I mistaken?
    Yes. In most states, overtime takes place only when an employee works more than 40 hours in a work week. Normal business hours are irrelevant. An employee could work on Monday from 7 AM to midnight and get no overtime at all (at least in my state and yours), even though most of the hours were outside the normal work day. Let's say that same employee put in 40 hours from Monday through Thursday. On Friday (still part of the same work week), he works four hours from 7 AM to 11 AM. These hours are part of the normal work day, but are all overtime.

    Quote Originally Posted by krayola View Post
    We have also had employees that didn't take a lunch during the typical lunch hours (11-2) and wanted to leave at 4:00 for lunch, not coming back to work.
    I don't know your state's laws, but that would be allowed in some states and not in others. The call would be yours to make unless the state dictates when the lunch must be taken.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    37,389

    Default

    The state of Virginia does not require breaks at all. It is entirely up to the employer when, or whether, a lunch break is taken.

Similar Threads

  1. Should I Get A Lunch Break?
    By tabasa3 in forum Oklahoma Labor Laws
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 10:03 AM
  3. :mad: Overtime question - URGENT!! Florida
    By jventurero in forum Florida Labor Laws
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 04:52 AM
  4. Lunch Break & Hour Requirements, North Carolina
    By andyman32 in forum Labor Laws
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
  5. Lunch and Break ???
    By JRupert99 in forum Ohio Labor Laws
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •