Thread: My lawyer dropped the ball, do I sue him now? Illinois

Angry My lawyer dropped the ball, do I sue him now? Illinois

I was on a cruise in Feb 2005, leaving and returning in Miami, FL. On the morning of the last day, I fell over a raised threshold at a doorway. Broke my foot, still having problems, and so forth.

After contacting the cruise line, decided I needed a lawyer. Meet with him about 7 months after it happened. He writes letters that go unanswered. He said that since I bought the ticket over the phone, from my home in IL, he would be able to represent me. I get a letter from the cruise line on the 1 year anniversary saying the matter is over because of the statute of limitations of 1 year has expired. My lawyer says not to worry, he has already started pursuing things so that is not true.

Well, I got a message from him the other day... He now says I need a lawyer in FL in order to proceed. This is after 11 months of "Pursuing things," keep in mind.
    I call a lawyer in FL today, he says, "Limitations have run out, I am out of luck. I should sue the lawyer I had, for negligence."

#1 Can I sue him, (and win)?
    #2 How do I find someone that will do it?
    #3 How do I know he won't be as bad as the first lawyer?

Any and all help and or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    Last edited by PatM; 10-26-2006 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by PatM View Post

#1 Can I sue him, (and win)?
    #2 How do I find someone that will do it?
    #3 How do I know he won't be as bad as the first lawyer?

Any and all help and or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    1. Yes. you can sue and win.

2.If its a good case. you should have no problem finding a lawyer. Check with the American Bar Association Florida 860-561-5600, toll free 800-342-8060

3. Check into their reputation.

Good luck

how horrid,
    saying that the STATUE now has ran out. i am wishing you luck on your intent
    to sue,and you should be able to sue successfully with right attorney.

and i am about to sue my ex attorney for NOT filing motions that involved her saying this MANY of times on recording and STILL in the end LIED/almost causing me to miss a chance at my own big suit coming up and these motions needed to be filed as children are involved here.she is being sued as i am already told if you have PROOF as to WHAT was needed to be done and if the OUTCOME of your case would have came out POSITIVE in your favor by these motions being filed,then i am going to rightfully win

so good luck,just keep trying to find the RIGHT ATTORNEY.you can sue him for sure,but if you want to WIN find the best attorney if you CAN afford it.

or do it on YOUR OWN,if like me you have recordings documents stating what the attorney was inclined to do but precluding from doing so until it was TOO
    late.

adios!
    BMW300ZXRedhead@aol.com
    Last edited by BMWREDHEADMAMITA; 08-11-2007 at 06:59 PM.

#1 Can I sue him, (and win)? Read this article about suing a lawyer for malpractice: Can I Sue My Lawyer for Malpractice?

#2 How do I find someone that will do it? Try (deleted by moderator) you can post a description of your problem and if an attorney is interested, they will bid for your business.

#3 How do I know he won't be as bad as the first lawyer? On the above website, you can read consumer reviews and evaluations of the attorneys, so you're better informed when choosing a new lawyer.
    Last edited by cbg; 01-28-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Super Moderator

Richard, please do not reply to old threads - thanks. The original poster has not posted since 2006.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

Additionally, because you have posted valid information, I have not - yet- removed your account as a spammer. Your attempts to advertise your website, however, have been removed.

The purpose of these boards is not to solicit business. You may post a link to your personal website as part of your signature as long as you do not either directly or indirectly encourage posters to hire you. That is the limit of what is allowed.

Super Moderator

Thanks, cbg. I originally debated whether to remove website in this case. Probably should have.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.