Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: dating New York

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Question dating New York

    i was wondering if my daughter who is almost 17 but is dating a 20 yr old who is about to turn 21 is allowed? i sorta consent to the relationship but have my doubts, Do i have to consent to the relationship?? because my husband isnt into it but we were the same ages as they are when we started dating. he is a great guy from what ive seen but he does want more out the the relationship physically i can tell but i know they havent done anything because anytime that they are together they have been in public places with me or at school. Are they allowed to have a physical relationship???? plus he is about to graduate college and she wants to go to a college in the same area as he works so im not so sure??? thanks
    Last edited by i8@tacobell; 10-24-2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: incomplete thoughts

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    From what I can tell, the age of consent is 17 in NY. If you do not approve for any reason however, she is your responsibility until she is 18.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Question

    okay so say i consent to the relationship,but are they allowed to have any physical relationship??? because he turns 21 before she turns 17 are they still allowed to date? have anything physical?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,322

    Default

    Once she is 17, there are no laws being broke about sex between the two. It is up to you from there mom.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i8@tacobell View Post
    i was wondering if my daughter who is almost 17 but is dating a 20 yr old who is about to turn 21 is allowed? i sorta consent to the relationship but have my doubts, Do i have to consent to the relationship?? because my husband isnt into it but we were the same ages as they are when we started dating.
    Are you sure you are not writing this about yourself? There are certin clues in your lack of capital "I" and use of phraseology.

    If there are any doubts, back off.

    Quote Originally Posted by i8@tacobell View Post
    he is a great guy from what ive seen but he does want more out the the relationship physically i can tell but i know they havent done anything because anytime that they are together they have been in public places with me or at school.
    This guy is pressuring you to go all the way, and you are not sure about it. Don't go there. My reasons are below.


    Quote Originally Posted by i8@tacobell View Post
    Are they allowed to have a physical relationship????
    No. Parents have control of that untill you are 18.

    Quote Originally Posted by i8@tacobell View Post
    plus he is about to graduate college and she wants to go to a college in the same area as he works so im not so sure??? thanks
    Two different worlds. Back off untill you are done with school, then see how you feel. I get the feeling that he is a player, and you are smart enough to have your doubts about the situation. Pregnancy is the least of your worries. There are more than 30 std's out there. 25 do not harm the guy, and can eventually render the woman steril or kill her. Your chance of contracting one of them is 60% with just one sexual contact using a condom.

    http://www.the-tidings.com/2005/0311/abstinence.htm

    Read the information at the link, and then think about it.

    Marry a virgin. They are the only safe ones out there.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GotSmart View Post
    Marry a virgin. They are the only safe ones out there.
    I disagree with only this line... NO ONE is safe. Use logic and think things through at ALL times.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demartian View Post
    I disagree with only this line... NO ONE is safe. Use logic and think things through at ALL times.


    I concede the point

    We live in scary times.

    No one is safe.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    Default

    okay so he just turned 21 and she has about 3 more weeks till she turns 17, so can they date, and have sex? or do they have to wait till she is 18 now

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i8@tacobell View Post
    okay so he just turned 21 and she has about 3 more weeks till she turns 17, so can they date, and have sex? or do they have to wait till she is 18 now
    Ummm, I think you were allready told that the age of sexual consent is 17 in New York. If you are one of the people in question, then keep i mind, that the parent or parents can obtain a restraining order against the older one until the minor is 18.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 09:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •