Thread: Operation of Vehicle with Wilful Disregard of Safety Ticket (Ohio) ? Ohio

Default Operation of Vehicle with Wilful Disregard of Safety Ticket (Ohio) ? Ohio

Ok so a gramma was driving in front of me and pulls over and parks. I look back and see that my friend is hanging out the window having a good old time, and when I look back ahead, the gramma decided to turn into her driveway on the left, and since I already decided to pass her, I was going about 5 miles over the speed limit when I slammed on my brakes, and ended up hitting her. No injuries, just a dent on her car and huge smash on mine. Officer writes me up for Wilful Disregard of Safety while operating a vehicle? I am 17 years old and going to court next week, anyone know what the consequence will be when I plead guilty to the ticket?

Willful or wanton disregard of persons or property is a 4-point violation, meaning you will recieve four points on your driver's license. You will be ordered to pay a fine, court costs, and depending on how many points are already on your record - you could have your driving privileges suspended or revoked, or you could be ordered to attend driving classes. Your insurance rates could also be affected by the point accumulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raawz View Post
    Ok so a gramma was driving in front of me and pulls over and parks. and when I look back ahead, the gramma decided to turn into her driveway on the left
    You can't have it both ways. Either she had parked, or she was going to turn. You obviously were not paying attention.

I look back and see that my friend is hanging out the window having a good old time,
    What do you mean by that? No seat belt? Yelling at "Grandma"? Throwing things at people?

I LOOK BACK. Why!

It sounds like your friend should not go out in public. He just distracted you to the point that YOU caused an accident.

and since I already decided to pass her, I was going about 5 miles over the speed limit when I slammed on my brakes, and ended up hitting her.
    Speeding 2 points

No injuries, just a dent on her car and huge smash on mine. Officer writes me up for Wilful Disregard of Safety while operating a vehicle? I am 17 years old and going to court next week, anyone know what the consequence will be when I plead guilty to the ticket?
    Hopefully, they will take away your licence. That is a four pointer

You are on a conditional DL, and will be lucky if "Grandma" does not turn up with whiplash.

She freaking pulled over to the side of the road and stopped, no turn signal or anything. I speed up to get around her and look back at my roudy friend to try to get him to stop and when I look back she is very very slowly pulling into the driveway. It is not my fault that my friend didnt have his seatbelt on, ok? I cannot control that. Even though I am supposed to, he doesnt even listen to the police officers, how do you think I am going to make him obey? Oh and he got a ticket too from yelling at the cop and he is going to court for it as well.

Granny wasnt hurt or get whiplash. There was hardly any damage. This was in a suburbian road.

She freaking pulled over to the side of the road and stopped, no turn signal or anything. .
    Your story changed from "gramma was driving in front of me and pulls over and parks"

I speed up to get around her and look back at my roudy friend to try to get him to stop and when I look back she is very very slowly pulling into the driveway. .
    If a car pulls over in front of you, keep it in your vision. Were you tailgaiting her?

It is not my fault that my friend didnt have his seatbelt on, ok? .
    Yes it is. No belt, no ride.

I cannot control that. .
    No belt, no ride.

Even though I am supposed to,.
    Now you are getting it.

he doesnt even listen to the police officers, how do you think I am going to make him obey? .
    He does not sound like someone to have as a friend. No belt, no ride. How come he is allowed to push you around?

Oh and he got a ticket too from yelling at the cop and he is going to court for it as well. .
    In other words, he distracted you, and provoked the police. Not someone I would allow in my car.

Granny wasnt hurt or get whiplash. There was hardly any damage. This was in a suburbian road.
    Whiplash can happen in a 5 mph bump. I ended up needing spinal surgery from one like that.

How did I know all this? I deal with teenagers every day. Dump your "friend" and throw yourself on the mercy of the judge.

The granny didnt get whiplash, otherwise, she would have said so. If you followed my story you will have seen that i hit her on the side. Again, he is a friend. He is a very unruly teenager that isnt old enough to drive. I gave him rides home afterschool because of courtesy (me being a youth group leader, and reaching out and helping kids in it). I would figure that someone of some intelligence would wear their seatbelt, he has never had that problem before...apparently he had his head out the window to yell at some friends he had that were walking on the street, and I said get in the car, and he said ok, i will, so I would expect that he did (I was watching the road). Another thing was that his house was less than 3 blocks from the school so it was less than a 4 minute drive including traffic lights. I would say parked because she was stopped with her wheels touching the curb for over 3 seconds. And tailgating someone is 1 second behind them. I was 4-5 seconds behind them.

The granny didnt get whiplash, otherwise, she would have said so. .
    http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/w...h/whiplash.htm

If you followed my story you will have seen that i hit her on the side. Again, he is a friend. He is a very unruly teenager that isnt old enough to drive. I gave him rides home afterschool because of courtesy (me being a youth group leader, and reaching out and helping kids in it). I would figure that someone of some intelligence would wear their seatbelt, he has never had that problem before...apparently he had his head out the window to yell at some friends he had that were walking on the street, and I said get in the car, and he said ok, i will, so I would expect that he did (I was watching the road). Another thing was that his house was less than 3 blocks from the school so it was less than a 4 minute drive including traffic lights. I would say parked because she was stopped with her wheels touching the curb for over 3 seconds. And tailgating someone is 1 second behind them. I was 4-5 seconds behind them.
    Once again your story changes.

I refuse to have a battle of minds with someone that will drag me down.

To answer your original question once again, you are in trouble, and would be lucky not to loose your driving privelages.

tailgating someone is 1 second behind them. I was 4-5 seconds behind them.

Actually, a safe following distance is considered to be 2 car lengths behind the person in front of you. Any closer than that is too close.

If you're going to be driving younger people around, then YOU need to be the responsible one and make sure they have their seat belts on. In most states, unless the passengers are also licensed drivers, then the licensed driver behind the wheel is responsible for making sure everyone buckles up. If there had been a more serious accident and this young person had been injured or killed, you would really be in deep doo-doo.

How the hell did my story change. I have said the same thing numerous times, and because you cant understand simple english, I have to elaborate more into it. You realize that police officers do not need as much detail as you do to understand what happened. I honestly dont think that you are getting anything out of this and should cease your frivolous comments. Dont say that I do not know what whiplash is, especially when I have experienced it and know very well what it feels like. Despite the fact that even if she did have whiplash, it isnt a technical injury and is good that it is overlooked. Force is directional, not general. If hit from the side, your head moves to the side, not backward and forward like a punching bag.

I now understand why it says on the insurance card not to talk to anyone about the accident, because everyone that I have talked to about it, looking for direction, calling out for help, has made it escallate into more than what it really is. Wow a dent on both cars. Amazing. Cop stands and disputes. Friend acts like an 8 year old brat. Thats all it was and ever will be.