Thread: Temperature in work place Illinois

Default Temperature in work place Illinois

Hi,
    My husbands work is going to set the temperature in his building to 50 degrees F. Can you tell me what the minimum temperature in the winter for a mechanics shop would be in Illinois? This seems to be awfully cold. Thanks!

I looked at the Illinois Department of Labor, and I could find nothing to say if they have to keep the work area a certain temperature. I am sorry, but there may very well be no laws regulating this. I hope someone comes along that may know something more than I do. Good luck!!

It wouldn't be the DOL, it would be, if anything, OSHA or the state equivalent. What kind of environment does he work in, a freezer?

Question Temp for working in Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymd View Post
    It wouldn't be the DOL, it would be, if anything, OSHA or the state equivalent. What kind of environment does he work in, a freezer?
    No, a mechanics garage for a BIG company. They have just decided to cut the temps back in any of the buildings that have mechanics and loaders, etc to 50F, but all the offices still have the warm temps. The guys are in and out of the buildings, but would like to stay a bit warmer when inside working. I believe 50F will not be to their benefit IF they are wearing heavy clothing and gloves to keep warm. Some things can't be done with alot of layers on. I found a Michigan search thru the "Chartered Institute of Building Services" in OSHA that said heavy duty work has to be 55F and light duty work 61F, and if lower they can refuse to work. I can't find anything for Illinois, you would think there has to be a minimum considering the amount of clothing that they can wear to do their work properly. Thanks for answering back.

Super Moderator

If you can't find anything for Illinois, chances are that Illinois has not set a minimum and he's going to be stuck with it, unfortunately.