Thread: minimum hours requirement for work?

Default minimum hours requirement for work?

is there a minimum hours requirement? Can an employee be on payroll for less than 2 hours?

Default No minimum hours requirement

Employees covered under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must be paid for all hours worked which includes all time an employee is on duty or at a prescribed place of work. So yes, an employee can be on payroll for less than 2 hours.

Default minimum hours to work

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    is there a minimum hours requirement? Can an employee be on payroll for less than 2 hours?
    Many states have laws requiring minimum or show up pay. In California, for example, it is 3 hours. This is required if the employee comes in on a day when they are scheduled to work longer, but are sent home early, or on a day when they are not regularly scheduled to work. There are also some exceptions if the short hours are due to acts of God.

Does this mean that if an employer schedules and employee to work on a particular day for two hours that they only have to pay them for those two hours?

I'm looking for information for a friend of mine (in California) who had requested not to be scheduled to work on Mondays and Wednesdays due to college classes. His boss has since then begun scheduling him to work for two hours on each of those days. I had told him that I thought the minimum he had to be paid for was three, but I wasn't sure. He'd asked his boss and she told him she only had to pay him for two, and that he had to come in regardless of his prior agreement not to work those days. Is this in fact acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn
    Does this mean that if an employer schedules and employee to work on a particular day for two hours that they only have to pay them for those two hours?

I'm looking for information for a friend of mine (in California) who had requested not to be scheduled to work on Mondays and Wednesdays due to college classes. His boss has since then begun scheduling him to work for two hours on each of those days. I had told him that I thought the minimum he had to be paid for was three, but I wasn't sure. He'd asked his boss and she told him she only had to pay him for two, and that he had to come in regardless of his prior agreement not to work those days. Is this in fact acceptable?
    The show up pay of 3 hrs. minimum is required if the employee comes in on a day when they are scheduled to work longer, but are sent home early, or on a day when they are not regularly scheduled to work.
    Sue
    FORUM MODERATOR

www.laborlawtalk.com

Default Mandatory meetings

My company is requiring two mandatory meetings per week. They start at 8am and last one hour. The closing shift is from 12:30 to 9:30pm. Can the company require all closing shift employees to attend the 1 hour meetings, and then require them to leave and come back to work their 12:30 to 9:30pm shift. Would this fall under the minimum 3 hour pay.

Default Minimum Hours

What state are you in? The requirement differs in some states.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Question Mandatory Meetings

Quote Originally Posted by mikerehn
    My company is requiring two mandatory meetings per week. They start at 8am and last one hour. The closing shift is from 12:30 to 9:30pm. Can the company require all closing shift employees to attend the 1 hour meetings, and then require them to leave and come back to work their 12:30 to 9:30pm shift. Would this fall under the minimum 3 hour pay.

Default Mandatory Meetings

I live in Tennessee I am wondering if my employer is suppose to pay us for mandatory meetings? Also we are told if we do not attend we will loose our JOBS! We have one once a month and they can last for up to 2 hours and we are not paid at all for any of the meetings. I work in a small resturant as a waitress and they pay us 2.50 plus our tips and we are taxed on them.Just wondering if they have to pay and can they fire you for not coming.These meetings never get anything resolved.

Sincerely
    Vstarmom1

Default Meetings

You must attend the meetings if your employers you to do so. However, you must be paid for those meetings.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

California.

Quote Originally Posted by LConnell
    What state are you in? The requirement differs in some states.

I am in California

Default IWC Orders 1-16, Section 5(C)

I live in California and under Industrial Welfare Commission wage orders if you are required to work (such as a mandatory meeting), you must be paid at least 2 hours at your regular pay rate. If your meeting last over 2 hours, you just get paid for those hours. If the meeting is 3 hours you get paid for 3 hours. Please do not listen to what anybody says unless they have proff and do your own research or call Human Resources. You can not be fired for looking for information. Here is a link to the wage orders you need to show your employer is need be. Best of Luck.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/IWC/WageOrderIndustries.htm

Labor of Work Hot line: (866) 924-9757
    Last edited by Ashley013; 08-19-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Super Moderator

Please pay attention to the dates; this thread has been dead for several years.