Thread: What can I do if someone is harboring my runaway New York

Unhappy What can I do if someone is harboring my runaway New York

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what I can do about someone harboring my runaway. My 14 year old has runaway from home 3 times in the last few months. She was released by the cout twice and then they put her in nonsecure detention the 3rd time in which she stayed 2 weeks. In that time I cleaned out my office and redecorated it for her as she was sharing a room with her stepsister and thought she would feel better in her own space. My daughter is ADHD, BiPolar and oppositional defiant and she does see a psychologist and take medications for these conditions. When they released her they put her on a years probation, obviously with rules and a curfew she had to follow. She lasted 3 days and took off in the middle of the night and she did return the next day. She started school and managed to go for 3 days and left the school in which they gave her Sat. detention for. Well that Friday night Sept. 14th she left again and has not returned. I in turn had been working with her worker through MST and came up with an idea and I had created a myspace posing as her and invited all her friends to be my friend through her existing myspace well the one I had created was a plea for her whereabouts and return. At this time there is a PINS warrant out for her. My daughter did see this myspace and retaliated and told me to (F) off and that she hated me. That was on Sept. 23. I kept my search up and updated the page and then on Oct. 2 got another message from her stating she wasn't coming home the woman she is staying with is willing to let her stay there and that she wants to be emancipated from me and if I am willing to do this she promises to speak to me. Now mind you this person is allowing her to stay there, my daughter has not been in school for 2 and half weeks nor has she taken her medications. I am desperate in finding her I also had heard from some of the kids she is doing drugs, having sex with many partners and her letter was written to me at 4am sounds like she is hooked up with a great mother figure huh? She started retaliating after the death of her grandmother and she is hanging out with a much older crowd who are trouble. She lives in a 2 parent home that loves her and just wants the best for her I am petrified so if anyone can tell me what I can do when I do locate her it would be greatly appreciated thank you

Kim

www.law.cornell.edu/topics/state_statutes.html

Okay, this person has some serious problems looming in her future. The first thing you need to do is locate your daughter. If she has been sending messages via e-mail, posts to my space, etc, get the ISP address to help track her down. Once you find her, call the police to pick her up and to arrest the person she is staying with. The person she is staying with can (and most likely will) face charges of custodial interference of the 1st degree (class E felony), endangering the welfare of a child (class A misdemeanor), and, if supplying alcohol or drugs, unlawfully dealing with a child in the first degree (class A misdemeanor). This person is also possibly at risk for facing charges of unlawful imprisonment ((class E felony or class A misdemeanor, depending on the degree) as your child is 14, even if she agrees to stay with this person, this person MAY still be guilty of unlawful "restraint") and kidnapping in the second degree. If your daughter is under the supervision of the state, there are other charges that are a possibility. Hope this woman thinks your daughter's "freedom" is worth prison.

Emancipation is not an option for your daughter for reasons other than the obvious reason that there IS no legal procedure for emancipation of a minor in NY. She is a known problem child with a record, she is only 14 years old, she cannot support herself, and she obviously cannot show that she has the self discipline, maturity, or control to be solely responsible for herself. She must have a place to live that is NOT provided by anybody else, must continue to remain and be successful in school, and have the means and ways to provide for herself.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for the information. Now I just have to figure out how I can get the ISP. I at first was very hurt and upset and desperate. Now I am angry, I have had 41 kids accept the invite onto that myspace I created and one that is 20 years old has admitted to my daughter being at her house and all she will say is that my daughter is ok and in good hands. I need to get my daughter help and don't know why no one hears me.

Thank you again
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by rainbosheart View Post
    Thank you so much for the information. Now I just have to figure out how I can get the ISP. I at first was very hurt and upset and desperate. Now I am angry, I have had 41 kids accept the invite onto that myspace I created and one that is 20 years old has admitted to my daughter being at her house and all she will say is that my daughter is ok and in good hands. I need to get my daughter help and don't know why no one hears me.

Thank you again
    Kim
    Do you have an e-mail address for the person that replied that your daughter is at her house?
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

Is an email through myspace

oh and sorry the problem is no matter what computer she uses it is same email

I sent you a private message.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    (unique up on him)
    (same way)

I received it