Thread: does the father have to be present to get name on birth certificate? Maryland

Default does the father have to be present to get name on birth certificate? Maryland

does the father of a baby have to personally sign the birth certificate to get his name put on it?

a few friends told me that their child's father was not at the hospital so the hospital would not allow them to put his name on the birth certificate.

my next question would be: if there is no father listed on the birth certificate can i still file for child support right away? does the court need a birth certificate signed by the father in order to process the paperwork?

Quote Originally Posted by cooloonka View Post

does the father of a baby have to personally sign the birth certificate to get his name put on it?

a few friends told me that their child's father was not at the hospital so the hospital would not allow them to put his name on the birth certificate.

my next question would be: if there is no father listed on the birth certificate can i still file for child support right away? does the court need a birth certificate signed by the father in order to process the paperwork?
    Yes, the father has to be present and sign an affidavit of paternity in order to have his name on the BC. If he doesn't do it at the hospital, he can do it at any time after the birth and have the BC corrected.

Yes, you can file for child support once the baby is born, even if he does not acknowledge paternity. He will be forced to submit to a DNA test to establish paternity if he refuses to voluntarily acknowledge paternity.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

how do the courts enforce the dna test order? how is someone punished if they refuse a court ordered test? typically speaking how is something like this carried out? and lastly if the dna test is court ordered who pays for it?

thank you for all answers. this information is valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by cooloonka View Post
    how do the courts enforce the dna test order? how is someone punished if they refuse a court ordered test? typically speaking how is something like this carried out? and lastly if the dna test is court ordered who pays for it?

thank you for all answers. this information is valuable.
    Honey, if a man refuses to take a court ordered DNA test, the courts will find him in contempt, and he could go to jail, or even be named the father by default, by refusing to take the test. This test is to prove he is not the father, if he refuses it, the judge may say "then I guess you don't need to prove that you are NOT the father". This is only a guess on what the judge will say, but the rest can happen for sure. If you get government assistance of any kind, to help care for your child, then the government will automatically ask the one you put down on the forms, as the father, to pay them back for the help they gave you. His only option would be to deny paternity, and ask for a DNA test, which the state at that time will pay for. He will be served a subpoena to give blood for the test, if he does not comply, he will be charged with contempt of court. If he does take the test, and it is found that he is the father, he may have to pay the state back for the help you recieved, and for the test. It is about 500.00 for the test.

I wanted to add : the father does not need to be present or sign anything if He is married to the mother of the child. Then his name can be placed on the birth certificate and he does not have to be there.

The DNA test is usually a mouth swab and the baby will not have to have any blood drawn.
    IF the Dad is found to be the father-he pays. However sometimes if the the Dad is not the father -the mom has to pay for the test.