Thread: Paternity and Adoption Florida

Default Paternity and Adoption Florida

I have a 10 month old son from a previous realtionship. I cannot get the father to establish paternity. He is in California and I in Florida. I have asked him to either establish paternity and help to support our child or to sign away his rights and let us get past this. I am now a relationship and would like to have the man adopt my son so is there anyway around him not having to even do this? He is not on the birth certificate and has made no effort or attempts to have anything to do with our son or to support him, can you please help

Quote Originally Posted by sabrena
    I have a 10 month old son from a previous realtionship. I cannot get the father to establish paternity. He is in California and I in Florida. I have asked him to either establish paternity and help to support our child or to sign away his rights and let us get past this. I am now a relationship and would like to have the man adopt my son so is there anyway around him not having to even do this? He is not on the birth certificate and has made no effort or attempts to have anything to do with our son or to support him, can you please help
    First- he does not have to agree to establish paternity. All you have to do is file to establish paternity and for CS. He will be court ORDERED to do a DNA test, if he refuses he will be determined to be the legal father by default. Your child deserves to be supported by both parents.

Second- at this point, he has no rights so he cannot sign away anything.

Third- Are you married to the man who wants to adopt? If not, adoption is not an option at this point.

Fourth- Even if you are married you will still be required to notify the alleged father, establish paternity THEN he can agree to relinquish rights or you can TRY to have rights terminated so that adoption can take place.

All in all, you are better off if you go ahead and file the papers to establish paternity and CS. You can go to your state's child support enforcement agency to get help in filing.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just noticed that you are in Fl. Contact the Dept of Revenue CSE at 1-800-622-5437 to get the process started.
    Last edited by xena; 09-12-2006 at 04:36 PM.