Thread: wages garnished for broken equipment Illinois

Default wages garnished for broken equipment Illinois

A piece of machinery was accidently broken by a service tech, and now his boss is saying the $14,000 is going to have to come out of his wages... this seems totally wrong to me, is it legal?

Default damage to company property

Generally speaking the employer would need written authorization to withhold monies from an employee's check for such damages. (This would not be considered a garnishment.)

If the employee is considered exempt under FLSA, a payroll deduction is not even an option. DOL made this determination via an Opinion Letter (FLSA2006-7). You can google for the full text. This does not relieve an exempt worker from damages. It only relieves from the option of a payroll deduction.

If the employee is non-exempt under FLSA, the employer would need written authorization to withhold from his pay check. Barring such an arrangement, the employer may *request* reimbursement for damages. If terms cannot be agreed upon, the employer would have to file a civil case to recoup damages.

Also be cognizant that you may be fired for this infraction (i.e. damage to company property and/or safety violations). I just don't want you to be surprised should this happen.

Thanks so much for the quick response, the information you provided was very useful!