Thread: Time card laws?

Default Time card laws?

Last week, my accounting department alterd my time card. THe accountant insisted that i did not work one day. But, I did, regardless i did not get paid for the day. Quite alright, my consern is, is he allowed to alter my time card?

They are allowed to 'round' your time slightly, usually by the quarter hour, providing it is in your favor, and not theirs. They are not allowed to not pay you for time worked. If you did work that day, then their should be proof somewhere. A sent e-mail, something wrote out, etc. I would find whatever it is, and show them that you were there so that you can be paid.

Super Moderator

The legal issue is not whether your timesheet was altered but rather (assuming that you are Non-Exempt) your company is paying you based on hours worked. There are no laws that says the empoyer cannot alter the time sheet. There are laws however that says the employer must pay non-exempt employees based on hours worked, and your claim is that they failed to do this.

Send the person something in writing stating you worked that day and want the payment error corrected. Keep it short, professional, and non-accusatory. Copy your boss and keep a copy for yourself. You might want to start keeping original copies of your timesheets prior to submission if you think this will be an ongoing problem.

If you are instead Exempt, then there are somewhat different set of rules in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shopgirl75
    They are allowed to 'round' your time slightly, usually by the quarter hour, providing it is in your favor, and not theirs. They are not allowed to not pay you for time worked. If you did work that day, then their should be proof somewhere. A sent e-mail, something wrote out, etc. I would find whatever it is, and show them that you were there so that you can be paid.
    Rounding goes both ways. Sometimes it benefits the employee and sometimes the employer. For example, let's say the employe clocks at 5:13PM and the employer rounds to 5:15PM. This is allowed. Also let's look at another example. Let's say the employee clocks out at 5:02PM and the employer rounds to 5:00PM. This is also allowed. The rules of rounding must be consistent and not used arbitrarily.

and would it be normal, that if you clock at 8.10am they round it at 8.30 am? and always this way (beneficiating the employer)?
    thanks

No, rounding is only allowed to the nearest 15-minute interval. And, as also previously stated, it must be applied consistently, no matter to whose advantage the rounding accrues.

Quote Originally Posted by South Florida girl
    and would it be normal, that if you clock at 8.10am they round it at 8.30 am? and always this way (beneficiating the employer)?
    thanks
    No rounding should go both ways. Sometimes benefiting the employer and sometimes the employee. I agree that round 8:10AM to 8:30AM is a bit extreme. I'd think that it would have been rounded to 8:15AM.

ok. thanks for the answer.
    my boss said that her computer doesn't allow anything else.
    wanted to know what is exactly behind the story...
    any link where I can read this??