Thread: Maximum work hours per day Texas

Cool Maximum work hours per day Texas

My husband and son were working as pallet loaders in the warehouse of a MAJOR company, and the work was physically demanding. They worked anywhere from 10-14 hours per day, allowing them to sleep the remaining 24 hours of the day, but not much else. In reviewing the threads in the forums, I can see where mandatory overtime is legal. Now, my questions is: What is the maximum hours per day an employer can require an employee to work? My husband and son had already worked 48 physically taxing hours in a 4-day period and were getting ready to clock out. The supervisor informed them that they had to stay and work another 4-6 hours. They informed the supervisor that they had already worked 12 hours and didn't feel they could work another 4-6 hours without dropping from exhaustion. (Note: A week earlier, my son had passed out on the job from exhaustion, and was taken to the hospital.) They got their timecards from the supervisor and clocked out, telling him they were going home. The next day, the supervisor told them they had abandoned their job and they had been fired.

In Texas (and nearly every other state), unless it's a particular public safety job, such as airline pilots and interstate truck drivers, for example, the employer can legally require 24/7 work if they want to without penalty (with 2 minor exceptions in Texas). I'm not saying I think this is a good idea, or that it's not a safety issue, but it isn't illegal.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 08-03-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Super Moderator

Unless there are industry specific regulations set by the overseeing authority (such as the FAA for airline pilots or the DOT for a truck driver) the maximum number of hours that can be required per day in any state is 24. NO state limits the number of hours that can be worked on a daily basis and only two have any kind of regulations regarding the number of hours on a weekly or pay period basis. Texas is neither of those states.

Like Patty, I don't necessarily agree with such a policy but it is legal.