Thread: Do I need an attorney to file bankruptcy? Indiana

Q & A Researcher

Default Do I need an attorney to file bankruptcy? Indiana

It is possible to file a bankruptcy case without the assistance of an attorney but it is extremely difficult to do so successfully. Retaining a competent attorney is highly recommended. For referral information you may contact the local bar association.

Default No you do not need a lawyer to file bankruptcy

Chapter 7 is easy, I did the paper work off the courts website myself and as the only thing a lawyer can do is say his name at the court hearings the rest is done by you and they of course can prepare the forms. the forms do come with instructions just make sure you have all copy of all 3 credit reports when you get to the schedules. You can save yourself a load of money by doing it yourself if you are filing a chapter 7, as for chapter 13 I recommend a lawyer as they are better negotiators with the creditors. Hope this answers your question.

Super Moderator

KristinB - You replied to a thread from 2006 & poster has not posted since 2006. Anyway, I don't believe they were asking a question - just giving general information. ("answering a question") We don't post to old threads.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.