Thread: Injured my back at work, didn't file for workman's comp Iowa Iowa

Question Injured my back at work, didn't file for workman's comp Iowa Iowa

I need an answer ASAP!!! I injured my back at work while lifting a lamp, I fell to my knees and had a hard time walking. The next day I went to my doctor and had an MRI, I had a sprained back. I went to PT and had chiropractic adjustments. Ihad my daughter call and tell my manager what was going on because i was on pain killers, she was told by my employer not to worry about my job, just get well. I was ready to go back to work after 6 weeks and I called my manager and was told that they could no longer hold my position open. We had a 3 way conversation with HR and that was the end of it. I was also told by the manager that she had 2 positions open. I got a doctor's release and expected fully to be called back to work. I wasn't.
    Now, she is fighting my unemployment. Is it too late to file workman's compnesation on this injury? Do I have any chance of winning my unemployment or workman's comp?
    I have a telephone hearing this coming Friday with the employer and the unemployment agency. I just can't be without this. I need some help fast.
    Thank you for responding.

Super Moderator

I don't know offhand what the limit is for filing a workers comp claim in your state, but there's no harm in trying. The worst they can say is no.

Assuming that you are able to work, actively looking for work and will accept work if offered, I don't see any reason offhand why you should not be able to receive UI. It is, however, her right to contest benefits, just as it is your right to appeal a decision that goes against you.

Default Workman's comp

Thanks for the reply. I did call an attorney today and I found out that you have 2 years to file a w/c claim. However, I had an MRI and it only showed a sprain, so, it came back negative.
    I am pretty sure that I will win my unemployment appeal though.
    Gosh, I hate going through all this. I wish I could just find a positon that I could stay with. Jobs are hard to find anymore.
    Good luck to everyone.