Thread: How can my fiance' become her own payee Michigan

Default How can my fiance' become her own payee Michigan

My fiance' and I live together and plan to get married. what I need to know is how can she legally become her own payee regarding supplemental security income which at this time is with another agency that is not allowing her the rights to her own savings.
    The answer they give her all the time when she needs money is that she needs receipts which she willing agrees to. Still they refuse by saying that they can't allow her to have her own money because she will give it to her mother or me.
    Is this lawful? Or is she allowed to spend any extra money for what she needs or wants to use it for her right as long as she has a legal receipt?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick48127
    My fiance' and I live together and plan to get married. what I need to know is how can she legally become her own payee regarding supplemental security income which at this time is with another agency that is not allowing her the rights to her own savings.
    The answer they give her all the time when she needs money is that she needs receipts which she willing agrees to. Still they refuse by saying that they can't allow her to have her own money because she will give it to her mother or me.
    Is this lawful? Or is she allowed to spend any extra money for what she needs or wants to use it for her right as long as she has a legal receipt?
    Why is she receiving SSI and what agency are you referring to?

she is receiving ssi for psych disability and the agency is Lincoln Behavioral Services

Quote Originally Posted by patrick48127
    she is receiving ssi for psych disability and the agency is Lincoln Behavioral Services
    There is virtually no way that SSA will allow her to be her own payee. It would take proving to the SSA that she is capable of handling her own finances, if she can prove that she'd almost certainly lose her SSI benefits.

However, once you are married she and you can file a request with SSA to make you the payee. Look on the SSA website and I believe they have some info there on it.
    Last edited by xena; 05-30-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xena
    There is virtually no way that SSA will allow her to be her own payee. It would take proving to the SSA that she is capable of handling her own finances, if she can prove that she'd almost certainly lose her SSI benefits.

However, once you are married she and you can file a request with SSA to make you the payee. Look on the SSA website and I believe they have some info there on it.
    But she can TRY to have a new payee named. It is POSSIBLE for a spouse or a parent to be named. But since her mother was not named as her financial guardian in the first place, that option is pretty much out the window.

I am on SSDI and she is on SSI if we get married will we both be able to keep our disabilities ?