Thread: need an answer to my ? New York

Question need an answer to my ? New York

if i were to leave my house to go live with my grandma can my mother do anything bout it im 17 yrs old and live in new york

Quote Originally Posted by chanel
    if i were to leave my house to go live with my grandma can my mother do anything bout it im 17 yrs old and live in new york
    I'd advise you not to do this. Yes, Mom can have you returned home, and during her conversation with the police she may mention that what led to you running away from home is that she was upset that you had sex with your adult boyfriend while you were under the age of sexual consent. Do you really want her to have that conversation with the police (if she hasn't already)?
    Last edited by pty; 05-26-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Wink true but

however i dont want to leave because of that i just cant get along with her anymore we never did it geting out of hand now. she gets mad when i dont talk to her but i've never have really talk to her anyway my grandma was the one that raised me

Trust me, you'll get more that what you want if you just up and leave. Especially if your mother is a spiteful person. I kept leaving to go with my grandmother, im 16, and if i'd refused to come home i was going to be taken under the state, sent to a detention facility, and my parents were going to be punished.

So, i think emancipation would be better. Let me know the steps you take if you do emancipate yourself, because i'm in the process of it myself.

Unhappy Confused

So does that mean since im 17 yrs old and i live in New York i cant leave home? BC i really needto move out but idk if i can. So...someone help me!

Default at 18 you can move out

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyandbroken View Post
    So does that mean since im 17 yrs old and i live in New York i cant leave home? BC i really needto move out but idk if i can. So...someone help me!
    when you are 18, you can live anywhere you want. untill then, you live where you mom tells you to live.she is in charge of you untill then, and you cant live anywhere else without her permission. if you move in with your grandmother without moms consent, she can face criminal charges.

Default You can do whatever you want in NYS

My son dropped out of school and left home at 16 (temporarily). Cops, lawyers, family service groups all told me I had no rights to bring him back home. I could file a runaway report and they could "suggest" that he return to us, but there was no statute they could use to enforce his return, or make him stay.

Once a child turns 16, they have the right to make their own decisions. If it's the child's decision to move out and not the parents to throw them out, I was told there can be no legal charges. However, the parent is still responsible for child's medical care and a few other things.

If anyone can point me to statutes that state differently, I'd be interested to read them. Thanks.
    Last edited by Woodstockgurl; 01-05-2007 at 05:03 AM.