Thread: Direct Deposit of payroll checks

Unhappy Direct Deposit of payroll checks

I am in need of some help in locating a publication from any state, Illinois for example, on making direct deposits of paychecks a condition of employment. I know the APA has a listing shown in the Payroll Source book, but it does not indicate the source of the information it has published. It does tell you to refer to the "Guide to State Payroll Law" which is another book for over $200.00.

I really need some help here and I will need multiply states, but if someone could show me how to obtain one, I think I could retrieve the others.

Thanks

Default Direct Deposit

I like that link, but I still need more information. My boss wants to make it mandatory that all payroll checks are direct deposit. I did not think that was something an employer could enforce. What if the employee did not have a bank account? What if the employee would rather have a check in hand and bring it to the bank themselves?

I am looking for some information or publication from the state which deals with this issue.

Thanks for all of your help.

Super Moderator

Some states permit mandatory direct depost; some do not; some allow it with qualifiers

The problem is that the state websites are all set up differently. Just because it's in one place in Arizona doesn't mean it'll be in the same place in Massachusetts.

CBG is absolutely correct. States differ so you will have to take it on a case by case basis.

We are going through the same process of trying to get our direct deposits/pay cards 100% across the board (currently at 82% and counting).
    One thing we have found that in some states while we can make it mandatory for new hires to choose direct deposit or pay cards we cannot force existing employees to make that choice.

Thanks for the information. I am looking for a few states; Texas, New Jersey, Pennsalvania, and Ohio. Any idea where I can find the direct deposit information for those states?

If it's not at the link I gave you earlier, you'll probably have to call the state DOL or get some type of publication. Seriously, if you're in several states, you should have such a publication or a subscription service to a Payroll Management reference such as CCH, BNA, or RIA.

Super Moderator

ENOUGH, Annbrenda. Some of the posts you are appending this link to are almost a year old. We have the information and we thank you for it. Now, enough already. We have a search feature on this forum; it is not necessary to post the same link to every thread that's referenced direct deposit in the past year.

I attended a seminar last year on Labor Law Updates. Mandatory Direct Deposit was on the agenda. The literature provided the below cheat sheet. This information is good as of May 2005. I hope this helps!

MANDATORY DIRECT DEPOSIT

Mandatory direct deposit NOT permissible
    AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, MD, MI
    MN, MT, ND, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, UT, VA, VT, WV, WY

Mandatory direct deposit permissible
    ME, NC, TX, WI

No provision on direct deposit
    AL, MO, MS, NE

Mandatory direct deposit permissible with exceptions
    KY, LA, OK, SC, WA - if employee incurs no cost
    MA, TN - if employee can choose banking institution

Super Moderator

LytSlpr, you shouldn't add your question to another poster's old thread. This thread was started in 2006.

I do see you have also started your own new thread which is the correct thing to do.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LytSlpr View Post
    i apologize.
    That's ok. You're not the first one to do that but a new thread should always be started when you have a question.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.