Thread: using vacation time

Default using vacation time

Why is it ok for an employer to deny an employee the ability to use vacation time that they've earned?

I manage a small business in California and make the weekly schedules. I have to fax the schedules to my District Manager on the Wed. proceeding the week the schedule is for and I have to notify her of any changes in my schedule. On Monday of this week, I called her to tell her that I had forgotten that my daughters Winter Concert was Wed. night and that I was going to have to adjust my schedule so that I could be there. She said it was no problem at all and to just send her a revised schedule. I asked one of my employees if they'd like some extra hours and they said yes, so I adjusted the schedule to show that he'd be working instead of me. I faxed this to her and she was ok with it. I also faxed a request to use some of my vacation time to cover that day. When my vacation time hadnt be put in my Thursday, I contacted her and she said that she doesnt approve the use of vacation time because, "We both know you weren't really on vacation hon", she said this with a chuckle. Didnt I work all year to earn that vacation time? Isnt it mine to do with as I please? I mean, I could understand if my taking a vacation was going to hurt the company, profit wise, but the day off had already been approved.

Quote Originally Posted by lsanz
    Why is it ok for an employer to deny an employee the ability to use vacation time that they've earned?

I manage a small business in California and make the weekly schedules. I have to fax the schedules to my District Manager on the Wed. proceeding the week the schedule is for and I have to notify her of any changes in my schedule. On Monday of this week, I called her to tell her that I had forgotten that my daughters Winter Concert was Wed. night and that I was going to have to adjust my schedule so that I could be there. She said it was no problem at all and to just send her a revised schedule. I asked one of my employees if they'd like some extra hours and they said yes, so I adjusted the schedule to show that he'd be working instead of me. I faxed this to her and she was ok with it. I also faxed a request to use some of my vacation time to cover that day. When my vacation time hadnt be put in my Thursday, I contacted her and she said that she doesnt approve the use of vacation time because, "We both know you weren't really on vacation hon", she said this with a chuckle. Didnt I work all year to earn that vacation time? Isnt it mine to do with as I please? I mean, I could understand if my taking a vacation was going to hurt the company, profit wise, but the day off had already been approved.
    Although what your employer has done is clearly unreasonable, I din't think any law has been broken.

You may want to check to see what the company policy says about the use of vacation time. Also, check with the Calif. Dept. of Labor to see if there is any state law that adresses this issue. The Calif. DOL website is here: http://www.dir.ca.gov/.

Good luck.
    In Solidarity,

Wayne

www.waynemarshall.org

Default California

California protects parents when they want to attend a meeting at their child school. If the employer has at least 25 employees, they are required to permit a parent to attend up to 40 hours of school meetings, programs, etc., per year without concern about discipline. Your employer is guilty of that requirement.