Thread: Is it legal for car dealer to charge doc fee?

Default Is it legal for car dealer to charge doc fee?

I went with a friend to buy a car. When it comes time to pay at the finance
    department, the contract contains a $35 doc fee that was never mentioned
    before. According to state law, the doc fee must be

"disclosed in writing to a prospective purchaser or lessee before the
    execution of a purchase and sale or lease agreement"

complete text is in section 2b here:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.70.180

So when the fee finally appeared in the contract, is this considered "before
    the execution of a purchase agreement"? It feels more like *during* the
    execution of a sales agreement, but I'm no lawyer.

How do you define "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? Is it
    before the form is shown? Before it is signed? Before we entered the finance
    department?

>I went with a friend to buy a car. When it comes time to pay at the finance
    department, the contract contains a $35 doc fee that was never mentionedbefore. According to state law, the doc fee must be "disclosed in writing to a prospective purchaser or lessee before the execution of a purchase and sale or lease agreement" complete text is in section 2b here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.70.180 So when the fee finally appeared in the contract, is this considered "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? It feels more like *during* the execution of a sales agreement, but I'm no lawyer. How do you define "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? Is it before the form is shown? Before it is signed? Before we entered the finance department?
    Ask a lawyer (because I'm not one) if they mean by "execute" that the
    contract is signed.

department, the contract contains a $35 doc fee that was never mentionedbefore. According to state law, the doc fee must be "disclosed in writing to a prospective purchaser or lessee before the execution of a purchase and sale or lease agreement" complete text is in section 2b here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.70.180 So when the fee finally appeared in the contract, is this considered "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? It feels more like *during* the execution of a sales agreement, but I'm no lawyer. How do you define "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? Is it before the form is shown? Before it is signed? Before we entered the finance department?
    Ask a lawyer (because I'm not one) if they mean by "execute" that the
    contract is signed.

department, the contract contains a $35 doc fee that was never mentionedbefore.
    At this point you're supposed to inform them that it's a deal-breaker,
    and you want $1000 off the car and *they* pay the doc fee to you.
    When they don't agree, walk.
    According to state law, the doc fee must be"disclosed in writing to a prospective purchaser or lessee before theexecution of a purchase and sale or lease agreement"complete text is in section 2b here:http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.70.180So when the fee finally appeared in the contract, is this considered "beforethe execution of a purchase agreement"? It feels more like *during* theexecution of a sales agreement, but I'm no lawyer.
    I am not a lawyer. But I'd say "execution of a purchase and sale or
    lease agreement" happens when *YOU* sign it. Obviously, *they* know
    about the doc fee, so when *THEY* sign it relative to when *they* find
    out about the doc fee isn't an issue.
    How do you define "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? Is itbefore the form is shown? Before it is signed? Before we entered the financedepartment?
    When did you sign something committing you to buying the car?

Gordon L. Burditt

department, the contract contains a $35 doc fee that was never mentionedbefore.
    At this point you're supposed to inform them that it's a deal-breaker,
    and you want $1000 off the car and *they* pay the doc fee to you.
    When they don't agree, walk.
    According to state law, the doc fee must be"disclosed in writing to a prospective purchaser or lessee before theexecution of a purchase and sale or lease agreement"complete text is in section 2b here:http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.70.180So when the fee finally appeared in the contract, is this considered "beforethe execution of a purchase agreement"? It feels more like *during* theexecution of a sales agreement, but I'm no lawyer.
    I am not a lawyer. But I'd say "execution of a purchase and sale or
    lease agreement" happens when *YOU* sign it. Obviously, *they* know
    about the doc fee, so when *THEY* sign it relative to when *they* find
    out about the doc fee isn't an issue.
    How do you define "before the execution of a purchase agreement"? Is itbefore the form is shown? Before it is signed? Before we entered the financedepartment?
    When did you sign something committing you to buying the car?

Gordon L. Burditt