Thread: Bought car, can't get title, looking for advice please...

Default Bought car, can't get title, looking for advice please...

On 10-21 I purchased a 2000 model used car from a couple who said they
    were moving overseas sometime in November. I paid the full amount in
    cash. I got the registration signed and a bill of sale but not the
    title, as they had bought the car with a bank loan and the bank held the
    title. They assured me the bank would send them the title within a week
    and I could have it then. It has been two and a half weeks since then
    and I have not been able to contact these people at all, despite trying
    on a daily basis. Both of their phone numbers were disconnected a week
    ago. One number was a cell phone but I was able to find an address for
    the other and visited the location. Nobody answered the door. Nobody
    at the address on the car title, either. Last Thursday (11-4) I
    contacted the DMV and they gave me the name of the bank that held the
    title. I told the bank my story and they were able to contact these
    people but would tell me nothing except that they were sending the title
    to this person who had the car loan, so presumably they were the legal
    owners, they used my money to pay off the loan, and they have, or soon
    will have, possession of the title.

So the problem is, I still can't contact them! The bank promised to
    send them my phone number (which they already had) but I have no
    confidence that they will make any attempt to contact me. So I am stuck
    here with a car sitting in my driveway that I cannot register because I
    can't get the title. I don't know what to do and it's becoming a
    *major* source of stress for me and my wife. Anyway, any suggestions or
    ideas would be very much appreciated. Please don't bother telling me
    I'm an idiot, that message has been pretty thoroughly pounded in
    already.

Oh, yes, I live in Oregon.

Thank you.

-- James

(remove NOSPAM to reply privately)

James,

I think your best bet is to wait until the title arrives in the mail. It
    does sound as if the previous owners are doing what they promised but are
    being slow. You can call your DMV and ask about the process of getting a new
    title issued in your name without the old title.

Good luck,
    Dave M.

In article <Q_3kd.9491$O11.918@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
    marte005@earthlink.net says...
    James, I think your best bet is to wait until the title arrives in the mail. It does sound as if the previous owners are doing what they promised but are being slow. You can call your DMV and ask about the process of getting a new title issued in your name without the old title. Good luck, Dave M.
    Well, I just talked to the DMV and was told because of the federal
    odometer law, that the previous owner MUST sign the title over to me.
    Otherwise there's no way I can register the car. None.

If these people take off overseas without signing the title over to me,
    I'll have spent a lot of money on a permanently undriveable piece of
    junk. And I have no way to contact them, and no way to know if they're
    ever going to contact me.

This is a nightmare.

-- James

remove NOSPAM to reply privately.

James,

Give them a few more weeks to send you the title. If no title arrives
    then try checking out your State DMV's web site for the procedure to get a
    title. You are not the first person to have "title" problems. Your DMV
    probably has a "Title Manual" available for examination on the web and at
    their local office. You're coming across as very distraught. If you don't
    feel up to this call a local attorney. I bet any probate attorney knows how
    to get a new title.

Good luck,
    Dave M.

S. O. Damocles

Chas wrote:
    "David Martel" <marte005@earthlink.net> wrote
    .....You're coming across as very distraught. If you don't feel up to this call a local attorney. I bet any probate attorney knows how to get a new title.
    Easy peasy
    Bull****.

Get an 'abandoned vehicle' title-
    Except that'd be a lie, and a felony to claim so.
    you need a surety bond- probably no more than $75 at the most.
    More BULL**** from Chas. Title bonds must be
    for 2x the value of the vehicle.
    They take all the VIN stuff; you need good i.d. and such, but you can get title in a day if you work it right.
    More crap Chas just pulled out of his festering ***.
    The only reason an abandoned vehicle title would be questioned is if the 'owner' brought the question, so you're home free.
    So, lie, commit a felony, and hope for the best, eh Chas
    you simpering imbecile?

Chas

S. O. Damocles

James Lynn wrote:
    On 10-21 I purchased a 2000 model used car from a couple who said they were moving overseas sometime in November. I paid the full amount in cash. I got the registration signed and a bill of sale but not the title, as they had bought the car with a bank loan and the bank held the title.
    Mistake #1 -- you should have acompanied them
    to the bank to get the title.

They assured me the bank would send them the title within a week and I could have it then. It has been two and a half weeks since then and I have not been able to contact these people at all, despite trying on a daily basis. Both of their phone numbers were disconnected a week ago. One number was a cell phone but I was able to find an address for the other and visited the location. Nobody answered the door. Nobody at the address on the car title, either. Last Thursday (11-4) I contacted the DMV and they gave me the name of the bank that held the title. I told the bank my story and they were able to contact these people but would tell me nothing except that they were sending the title to this person who had the car loan, so presumably they were the legal owners, they used my money to pay off the loan, and they have, or soon will have, possession of the title. So the problem is, I still can't contact them! The bank promised to send them my phone number (which they already had) but I have no confidence that they will make any attempt to contact me. So I am stuck here with a car sitting in my driveway that I cannot register because I can't get the title.
    You should be able to get a temp tag with the Bill of Sale.
    I don't know what to do and it's becoming a *major* source of stress for me and my wife. Anyway, any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated. Please don't bother telling me I'm an idiot, that message has been pretty thoroughly pounded in already. Oh, yes, I live in Oregon. Thank you. -- James (remove NOSPAM to reply privately)

S. O. Damocles

James Lynn wrote:
    In article <Q_3kd.9491$O11.918@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>, marte005@earthlink.net says...
    James, I think your best bet is to wait until the title arrives in the mail. It does sound as if the previous owners are doing what they promised but are being slow. You can call your DMV and ask about the process of getting a new title issued in your name without the old title. Good luck, Dave M.
    Well, I just talked to the DMV and was told because of the federal odometer law, that the previous owner MUST sign the title over to me. Otherwise there's no way I can register the car. None.

You could have, and should have, obtained a couple of signed,
    notarized Powers of Attorney from the seller at the time of
    the sale, and made any/all payments directly to the bank that
    held the lien, with the mutual instructions that the Title be
    sent directly to you. With the POA you could have then signed
    for the seller anywhere it would have been necessary.

If these people take off overseas without signing the title over to me,
    Then it might be fraud.
    I'll have spent a lot of money on a permanently undriveable piece of junk.
    Why did you buy junk?

You can obtain a Bonded Title if that happens, but it will cost
    you some more $$.
    And I have no way to contact them, and no way to know if they're ever going to contact me.
    Caveat Emptor.
    This is a nightmare.
    Of your own creation.

-- James remove NOSPAM to reply privately.

James Lynn wrote:
    On 10-21 I purchased a 2000 model used car from a couple who said they were moving overseas sometime in November. I paid the full amount in cash.
    You're screwed.
    I got the registration signed and a bill of sale but not the title, as they had bought the car with a bank loan and the bank held the title.
    You're screwed. Either get title from them before paying or pay the
    bank directly with the title sent to you.
    They assured me the bank would send them the title within a week and I could have it then.
    You're screwed. If they don't pay the bank it can reposess. Unless you
    can get your money back from them, you're SOL.

It has been two and a half weeks since then and I have not been able to contact these people at all, despite trying on a daily basis. Both of their phone numbers were disconnected a week ago.
    You're screwed.

Default I have a similar problem

I bought a car, paid in full. We both signed a bill of sale with all of the car's identifying information on it. The previous owner thought that the bank (which is 2 hours away in his home town) had the title and that he could get it once he paid off the loan. He paid off the loan, they don't have the title. He can't find the title. I went to the MN DMV website, gave him links to the form to fill out in order to get a duplicate copy of the title so he can transfer it to me. He said he has the form all filled out he just has to go to the DMV, but I bought the car over 2 months ago! This is what I found that I think will help both of us:

http://www.mncourts.gov/forms/fourth...on%20Guide.pdf

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cmgau View Post
    I bought a car, paid in full. We both signed a bill of sale with all of the car's identifying information on it. The previous owner thought that the bank (which is 2 hours away in his home town) had the title and that he could get it once he paid off the loan. He paid off the loan, they don't have the title. He can't find the title. I went to the MN DMV website, gave him links to the form to fill out in order to get a duplicate copy of the title so he can transfer it to me. He said he has the form all filled out he just has to go to the DMV, but I bought the car over 2 months ago! This is what I found that I think will help both of us:

http://www.mncourts.gov/forms/fourth...on%20Guide.pdf
    1. This has nothing whatsoever to do with probate (unless you bought the car from an estate).
    2. Site rules ask that you start your own thread rather than resuscitating one that is three years old.

Smile You can get a title through a 4 step process

In the United States of America, it is a State Law that Individuals who own cars, trailers, boats, mobile homes must undergo the process of Vehicle Titling and Registration.
    One reason for having the car titled and registered is to protect the owners. Of course, every state titling and registration requires that the car is titled and registered to the owner's name so that in case such car is stolen, it can be directly traced back into the owner. Conversely, in the absence of a DMV car Title and registration, the owner has no legal proof the automobile was ever his.
    The only way to legaly establish your right to the title of a vehicle you have purchased and received only a bill of sale, would be utilizing the court system. You would have to file a petition requesting that the court grant you the title as well as placing a legal notice in 2 of your local journals / newspapers, giving notice to any interested party of your petition, establishing legal proof of your ownership of the vehicle, and proving to the court that you are the rightful owner of said vehicle. This procedure is standard and proves to the court that their is no dispute for the title. Establishing a good administrative record is the best way to prove rightful ownership to the court. Utilizing a Notary to affect a Notary Certificate of Dishonor is the best way to do this. The Notary, being an officer of the court, would monitor the correspondences between you, the seller and the DMV to establish your right to the title. This process takes about 6 weeks to complete and is very effective in affecting the involuntary title transfer.
    The Notary Certificate of Default / dishonor method will help you get your vehicle Title transfer
    done quickly and without issues.

Super Moderator

GreatDeLaSoul, please do not reply to old threads. I believe the original poster (from 2004) has apparently solved their problem by now. Thank you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty3 View Post
    GreatDeLaSoul, please do not reply to old threads. I believe the original poster (from 2004) has apparently solved their problem by now. Thank you.
    And how does that help the hundreds of people who have arrived here in search of a solution to their similar problem?

Replies - no matter how old/new they are - if relevant, are important to the discussion. The original poster is not the only benefactor here.

Might want to update your forum policies.

Super Moderator

If you have information that you believe is so valuable that the forum cannot do without it, start your own informational thread instead of dredging up six year old threads to post it on.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Quote Originally Posted by cbg View Post
    If you have information that you believe is so valuable that the forum cannot do without it, start your own informational thread instead of dredging up six year old threads to post it on.
    Most forums have rules against duplicate threads for the purpose of reducing excessive twin discussions. I have to say I disrespectfully disagree with the notion that we are "dredging up" an old thread.

Searching for existing threads and conserving those threads is a high regard in forum etiquette.

Old threads should be locked or purged if that is the will of the administrators.

Super Moderator

Your opinion has been noted. Your compliance with the rules of THIS forum is anticipated.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Understood. I referenced the FAQ but couldn't find any rules per se, more like directions.

Is there somewhere where rules are posted?

With all seriousness I don't intend to break the rules should I find them. You have to understand duplicate posting is considered inappropriate, hence my intrigue.

Super Moderator

As you were told, we just don't dredge up old threads - those are the rules we follow. They don't have to be written.

I will close "this" old thread so it no longer continues to get posts. We generally do not close the old thread - we just don't post to it.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.