Thread: 17 in new york wants to get out of house

Question 17 in new york wants to get out of house

ok im 17 i live in new york and i cant take it here in my house anymore. for years iv been taking care of my parents and im tried. ever scicn i was 9 i was helping my mother to bed because she was always drunk....shes a little better now but im still doing it. my father has always been screaming yelling and putting me down for as long as i know. he use to hit me, but i brought cops involed, and hes been ok with that for a while now. but the verbel abuse is still on going. i cant breath in my house i hate being here im awake all hours of the night because im so unhappy. iv been clean off drugs for months now but it doesnt seam to matter to my father he is still throwing my past mistakes in my face. he commets my weight school my boyfriend how i look how i am as a person and i dont even eat dinner at night i have to make something for my self or starve.i use to cook and clean for them all the time but i stoped because im not mommy im the child...but me stoping only makes matters worse i dont know what to do...could someone please help me with an answer

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenXshadow88
    ok im 17 i live in new york and i cant take it here in my house anymore. for years iv been taking care of my parents and im tried. ever scicn i was 9 i was helping my mother to bed because she was always drunk....shes a little better now but im still doing it. my father has always been screaming yelling and putting me down for as long as i know. he use to hit me, but i brought cops involed, and hes been ok with that for a while now. but the verbel abuse is still on going. i cant breath in my house i hate being here im awake all hours of the night because im so unhappy. iv been clean off drugs for months now but it doesnt seam to matter to my father he is still throwing my past mistakes in my face. he commets my weight school my boyfriend how i look how i am as a person and i dont even eat dinner at night i have to make something for my self or starve.i use to cook and clean for them all the time but i stoped because im not mommy im the child...but me stoping only makes matters worse i dont know what to do...could someone please help me with an answer
    This situation sounds miserable. Unfortunately, there is no statute in NY state for legal emancipation of a minor. I'm putting a link on here that will give you more info on what you can do in NY, if you meet certain criteria.

www.empirestatecoalition.org/emanc.html
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Bottom line, you can't move out unless your parents allow it. In the state of NY a minor can be considered emancipated if they live apart from their parents, are financially self-sufficient, etc....but, in order to live apart from your parents, mom and dad have to allow it. If not, then you're just a runaway minor. My advice would be to talk to your school counselor about the situation.