Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can landlord charge me rent after I have left ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can landlord charge me rent after I have left ?

I signed a one year lease Feb. 2003. In August I lost my job and realized I
    couldnt live there anymore and pay the rent. I told the landlords this right
    away and they agreed. I moved. At that time the landlord told me that I would
    only be responable for rent until it was re-rented. August and Sept. rent were
    paid.

Today I receive a "bill" from the landlords saying there was no damage and
    that I had to pay $140 for cleaning to which I agree.
    The house is up for rent at this time.
    They are also charging me for rent through Feb. 2004. $8,400.
    This house most likely will be re-rented in a week or so.

Can they charge me rent through Feb. 2004, even though the house is occupied
    by new tenants ?
    I live in Colorado

thank you
    Craig
    [email protected]

Becklm wrote:
    I signed a one year lease Feb. 2003. In August I lost my job and realized I couldnt live there anymore and pay the rent. I told the landlords this right away and they agreed. I moved. At that time the landlord told me that I would only be responable for rent until it was re-rented. August and Sept. rent were paid.
    Today I receive a "bill" from the landlords saying there was no damage and that I had to pay $140 for cleaning to which I agree. The house is up for rent at this time. They are also charging me for rent through Feb. 2004. $8,400. This house most likely will be re-rented in a week or so.
    Can they charge me rent through Feb. 2004, even though the house is occupied by new tenants ? I live in Colorado
    thank you Craig [email protected]

If the house becomes occupied before Feb, I do not believe they can charge
    you for that time.
    Before paying a dime on the remaining lease, consult an attorney.

Comment

listen to this advice... people are no good and will screw good people like
      yourself... take that bill, rip it up and mail it right back to them. DO
      NOT LET THEM intimidate you. once i appeared at a child custody hearing and
      i revealed public court info regarding wifes new boyfriend. it was
      down-right TRUE information... the hearing officer ripped me a second AH
      and sent me out with my tail between my legs. i thought i would save money
      an appear without my attorney.

i learned my leason. several days later i received a letter from the
      boyfriends' attorney acusing me of defamation of character and that i will
      be sued if i didn't stop. i tore the attorney's warning letter up and sent
      it right back to them. don't shread it so that they will recognize it.

i'm a good professional guy, was shy all my life, but now... i fight back
      hard. don't give in. and better yet, forget about them.

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      Becklm wrote:
      I signed a one year lease Feb. 2003. In August I lost my job and realized I couldnt live there anymore and pay the rent. I told the landlords this right away and they agreed. I moved. At that time the landlord told me that I would only be responable for rent until it was re-rented. August and Sept. rent were paid. Today I receive a "bill" from the landlords saying there was no damage and that I had to pay $140 for cleaning to which I agree. The house is up for rent at this time. They are also charging me for rent through Feb. 2004. $8,400. This house most likely will be re-rented in a week or so. Can they charge me rent through Feb. 2004, even though the house is occupied by new tenants ? I live in Colorado thank you Craig [email protected]
      If the house becomes occupied before Feb, I do not believe they can charge you for that time. Before paying a dime on the remaining lease, consult an attorney.

Comment

They could charge you rent if they were reasonably unable to find a tenant
        to pay as much rent as you agreed to pay.

Comment

i have rented for about 4-years now and every landlord tried to get away
          with the least amount of effort to accomodate me requests. right now, i
          rent in a business district (main street) above a deli. when they turn
          their oven fan on, EVERYTHING in the apartment raddles and shakes. it
          drives me crazy.

i've told the landlord that it is unbearable. he says that the employees
          shouldn't be running the fan unless they are burning food. hell, they must
          be burning everything they cook because the **** fan raddles and shakes me
          right out of the living room.

one day, the landlord had to come in when i wasn't home and he left me a
          hand-written note stating, "The fan has been a problem for 30 years" and
          that he would talk to the employees. they still run the **** fan. its
          CLEAP air conditioning for them.

i pay $1300/month in rent and believe me... when i get fed-up enough to
          move out, i'll use that hand-written letter against him at a hearing if need
          be.

read my other posts... i can be just as creative as the perpatrator and
          prevail when its all said and done!

when i enter into an agreement (business or personal), i always proceed with
          caution. i use a creative mind to gather facts to strike back if needed.

beware of landlords - most are negligent and will try to bully you.

"Najena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          news:Xns9[email protected]
          They could charge you rent if they were reasonably unable to find a tenant to pay as much rent as you agreed to pay.

Comment

No, assuming that the new rent is equal to or more than the rent
            you were paying.

--
            Brett

* Personal Injury/Malpractice Bankruptcy *
            * BRETT WEISS, P.C. *
            * Attorneys at Law *
            * Maryland, D.C. and Federal Bars *
            * [email protected] *
            * http://www.erols.com/lawyer *
            * Small Business Estates & Estate Planning *

The Small Print: This response is for discussion purposes only.
            It isn't meant to be legal advice and you shouldn't treat it as
            such. If you want legal advice, speak with a local lawyer
            familiar with your state's laws who can review *all* of the facts
            and the law applicable to your situation.

"Becklm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            I signed a one year lease Feb. 2003. In August I lost my
            job and realized I
            couldnt live there anymore and pay the rent. I told the
            landlords this right
            away and they agreed. I moved. At that time the landlord told
            me that I would
            only be responable for rent until it was re-rented. August and
            Sept. rent were
            paid. Today I receive a "bill" from the landlords saying there was
            no damage and
            that I had to pay $140 for cleaning to which I agree. The house is up for rent at this time. They are also charging me for rent through Feb. 2004.
            $8,400.
            This house most likely will be re-rented in a week or so. Can they charge me rent through Feb. 2004, even though the
            house is occupied
            by new tenants ? I live in Colorado thank you Craig [email protected]

Comment

Your signature sucks.
              Usenet rules permit only 4 lines of text.
              But you abuse the rules and advertise with every post.

Comment

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                Your signature sucks. Usenet rules permit only 4 lines of text. But you abuse the rules and advertise with every post.
                Let's see, Brett frequently posts useful, accurate legal information while
                you consistently post clueless moronic drivel, yet you have the chutzpah to
                gripe about his sig? You are truly a pathetic little man, richard.

Comment

>No, assuming that the new rent is equal to or more than the rent
                  you were paying.
                  Brett, I would assume that since I was paying 1400 per month and if they
                  were to rent it today for 1390 per month then I would have to pay $10 per month
                  through the end of my lease.
                  I can understand that.
                  I did call the city housing dept here and they told me that my question was
                  the second most asked question behind the withholding of the damage deposit.
                  And they said no, but are not sure if it is a lie.
                  Brett, do you know if there is an actual law or statute in Colorado, or some
                  sort of federal housing law that covers my question.
                  I have searched the best I can the Colorado statutes and that search engine,
                  the LexusNexis is certainly not as user friendly as the older way to search.
                  Thank You

Comment

Richard wrote:
                    Your signature sucks. Usenet rules permit only 4 lines of text. But you abuse the rules and advertise with every post.
                    There is no such thing as "usenet rules".

Comment

You are correct, you would be responsible only for the $10
                      difference in this situation.

As far as Colorado statutes are concerned, check out
                      http://rhol.org/ltlaw.htm and scroll down to the Colorado Tenant
                      Landlord Act.

--
                      Brett

************************************************** ***************
                      * Personal Injury/Malpractice Bankruptcy *
                      * BRETT WEISS, P.C. *
                      * Attorneys at Law *
                      * Maryland, D.C. and Federal Bars *
                      * [email protected] *
                      * http://www.erols.com/lawyer *
                      * Small Business Estates & Estate Planning *

The Small Print: This response is for discussion purposes only.
                      It isn't meant to be legal advice and you shouldn't treat it as
                      such. If you want legal advice, speak with a local lawyer
                      familiar with your state's laws who can review *all* of the facts
                      and the law applicable to your situation.

"Becklm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                      No, assuming that the new rent is equal to or more than the
                      rent
                      you were paying. Brett, I would assume that since I was paying 1400 per month
                      and if they
                      were to rent it today for 1390 per month then I would have to
                      pay $10 per month
                      through the end of my lease. I can understand that. I did call the city housing dept here and they told me that
                      my question was
                      the second most asked question behind the withholding of the
                      damage deposit.
                      And they said no, but are not sure if it is a lie. Brett, do you know if there is an actual law or statute in
                      Colorado, or some
                      sort of federal housing law that covers my question. I have searched the best I can the Colorado statutes and
                      that search engine,
                      the LexusNexis is certainly not as user friendly as the older
                      way to search.
                      Thank You

Comment

>You are correct, you would be responsible only for the $10
                        difference in this situation.As far as Colorado statutes are concerned, check outhttp://rhol.org/ltlaw.htm and scroll down to the Colorado TenantLandlord Act.
                        Thanks for the info and the web page. Though none of the Colorado web pages
                        work. it figures in this state.
                        Craig

Comment

I worked with a person that rented out houses in LA and the law here is: Once the house is rented to someone else you can't take anymore maney from you. No mater how much the other person is paying. If i were you i would call a attorney and ask them over the phone what they think. I wouldn't think you would.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey9899 View Post
                            I worked with a person that rented out houses in LA and the law here is: Once the house is rented to someone else you can't take anymore maney from you. No mater how much the other person is paying. If i were you i would call a attorney and ask them over the phone what they think. I wouldn't think you would.
                            Considering this post is almost 4 years old, the odds of your advice helping the OP is minimal.
                            Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
                            X