X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living Trust Question

I've read about making one's own living trust. It sounded quite
    straightforward and I saw no problem doing it, so have completed mine.
    It has been "notarized" but I can't find any requirement to "register
    (or whatever the word is)" it with a public entity. Now I realize that
    one doesn't "register" a will either, so perhaps it is natural that one
    doesn't need to do anything but have it notarized. Does anyone have any
    thoughts on this? Would appreciate any input. By the way, I live in
    California, so CA law would apply.
    John

Living Trust Question

<[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    I've read about making one's own living trust. It sounded quite straightforward and I saw no problem doing it, so have completed mine. It has been "notarized" but I can't find any requirement to "register (or whatever the word is)" it with a public entity. Now I realize that one doesn't "register" a will either, so perhaps it is natural that one doesn't need to do anything but have it notarized. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would appreciate any input. By the way, I live in California, so CA law would apply. John
    There is no need to register it with a government agency.

McGyver

Comment

I am from LA and we file our wills with the court house, just incase our copies gets misplaced the court will have a copy.

Comment

Guest: I've read about making one's own living trust. It sounded quite straightforward, and I saw no problem doing it, so have completed mine....Would appreciate any input.

Are you familiar with the adage "penny wise and dollar foolish." If you have an estate of any magnitude, you are absolutely crazy to undertake this endeavor on your own. It is fraught with pitfalls for the unwary.
        Barry S. Phillips, CPA
        www.BarryPhillips.com

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: This response is intended to provide general information and written for educational purposes only. It does not establish a client relationship. This communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to any party any matters addressed herein.

Comment

Working...
        X