This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can a third party be sued for car damages Illinois

A co-worker's car crasked in a traffic acident. He was at home, but He allowed his adlult son to drive the car. His son did not have car insurance when he crashed the car. The police on the scence gave him a DUI ticket and arrested and jailed him for the accident. The co-worker's son did not go to court for the accident. The victim's attorney has sued the owner of the car for payment of damages, which is my co-worker. The co-worker also did not have insurance for the car. However, can the co-worker be sued for the damage to the car that he did not crash?

Absolutely. He was negligent for allowing the son to drive it, AND for not having insurance. My car insurance covers anyone driving my car, and I think most insurers do so, just for this reason. The owner is responsible for the car and any damage it may cause regardless of who's driving.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Agree, if the son didn't have ins., they are going after the owner of the vehicle who also didn't have ins. but should have. He also allowed the son to drive his car knowing there was no ins. on it.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X