This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fail" to use Seatbelt Oregon

We were pulled over today in Salem Oregon and I, as a passenger, was given a ticket for not wearing my seat belt.

That much is pretty straight forward, I wasn't wearing my seat belt.

My reasoning, as I told the officer (which was pretty obvious to him and anyone else) being that it didn't fit. To be honest, I am a pretty big guy and in most all vehicles, safety belts do not fit me. (Quite literally, not as a matter of comfort.)

What are my chances of anything beneficial coming from showing up on my court date and pleading my case?

While I am guilty of not wearing a seat belt, I can honestly say (and prove) that I simply don't have the capacity to do so.

The ticket probably isn't much to some, but I'm recently unemployed, so it's a big hit to me between jobs, not to mention the concern of further tickets for the same reasons.

I would appreciate any advice regarding this.
    Last edited by Kurzert; 02-12-2009, 01:07 AM.

There are seat belt extenders that can be bought & that can even be transferred from car to car.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yes, I know about the seat belt extenders now, though they all seem to require actually bolting it into the car as a modification to the current seat belt system.

While I don't mind doing that to my car, I can't modify every car I could possibly be riding in. (I have since ordered one for my car though.)

Regardless, I was in another person's car and given a ticket for a seat belt that I showed would -not- fit me in any way.

I just don't see how it's my fault that the cars are not build with that in mind. I can't help how every car I might ride in is built.

Is that going to matter to a Judge though? Is it worth even trying to explain?

Comment

Of course you can explain the situation to the judge. It sure can't hurt anything.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor

What do you mean by “ a pretty big guy? ” We are a nation of ‘pretty big people’ and growing, according to some studies, and many pretty big people who drive probably don’t use a seat belt properly, however what is the solution? Require the car manufacture/s to accommodate this ever ( pardon the pun ) growing problem? which I don’t feel is unreasonable, or require those larger than life to take public transportation? This question has been brought up before. In my younger days I worked ‘briefly’ as a tow truck operator.. until the day I was dispatched to the seen of an accident where a “pretty big person” who was not properly restrained had gone threw the windshield.. most of em anyway, I quit that day……So back to your question.. will the Judge be sympatric to your plight? Possibly, to the fact you weren’t wearing a seat belt? I wouldn’t bet you life on it……Der Doktor ist heraus!

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
            What do you mean by “ a pretty big guy? ” We are a nation of ‘pretty big people’ and growing, according to some studies, and many pretty big people who drive probably don’t use a seat belt properly, however what is the solution? Require the car manufacture/s to accommodate this ever ( pardon the pun ) growing problem? which I don’t feel is unreasonable, or require those larger than life to take public transportation? This question has been brought up before. In my younger days I worked ‘briefly’ as a tow truck operator.. until the day I was dispatched to the seen of an accident where a “pretty big person” who was not properly restrained had gone threw the windshield.. most of em anyway, I quit that day……So back to your question.. will the Judge be sympatric to your plight? Possibly, to the fact you weren’t wearing a seat belt? I wouldn’t bet you life on it……Der Doktor ist heraus!

I'm well aware of the safety reasons for not wearing one and I'm not opposed to wearing one in the least.

I do believe the car makers should make the seat belts longer. (The fact that you can extensions shows they would simply have to add 6 to 8 inches to the length of the belt.)

Though that's not really a debate to get into.

From what others have said to me privately, I plan to plead not guilty and simply explain the situation. I wasn't trying to break the law, I can't be responsible for the safety devices in everyone's vehicle. If it fit, I would wear it. (My own car is now equipped with an extension and I wear my seat belt.)

Honestly, if I can be legally at fault for something physically impossible, then something is seriously wrong with the system. But I do realize ridiculous things happen all the time with people following the letter of the law without considering the situation.

Comment

Just go to court & see what the judge decides.

Comment

Just to let you know, I am from Oregon, and I have a friend of mine, who is a "pretty big gal" have the same situation you are in. She didn't end up paying the ticket, but she did get a talking to from the Judge and was sent to seatbelt school. It is going to depend on the judge and what kind of mood they are in. Good luck to you!
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We must first look at ourselves, before we look at others

Comment

Working...
                X