Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weren't the telemarketer calls supposed to end yesterday?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weren't the telemarketer calls supposed to end yesterday?

Maybe I'm not keeping up, but that's what I thought.
    Yesterday, I had a message on my machine from some jackass
    telling something about a free trip to Vegas or something.
    I think I got more of these junk calls today.

(Obviously, my number is one of the 50 million on the list.)

--
    Oracle

OracleofBugtussle wrote:
    Maybe I'm not keeping up, but that's what I thought. Yesterday, I had a message on my machine from some jackass telling something about a free trip to Vegas or something. I think I got more of these junk calls today.
    (Obviously, my number is one of the 50 million on the list.)
    -- Oracle

Yes. But two federal judges have put a halt to the thing as there is a
    pending law suit.
    The telemarketers are claiming a violation of "free speech".

To fight back, get their 800 number. Then call them and let them listen to
    some lengthy recording.
    Then keep calling the number day and night. This racks up the phone bill
    they have to pay.

Comment

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:09:35 -0500, "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
      OracleofBugtussle wrote:
      Maybe I'm not keeping up, but that's what I thought. Yesterday, I had a message on my machine from some jackass telling something about a free trip to Vegas or something. I think I got more of these junk calls today. (Obviously, my number is one of the 50 million on the list.) -- Oracle
      Yes. But two federal judges have put a halt to the thing as there is apending law suit.The telemarketers are claiming a violation of "free speech".To fight back, get their 800 number. Then call them and let them listen tosome lengthy recording.Then keep calling the number day and night. This racks up the phone billthey have to pay.
      Free speech my *** !!!!!
      If people tell them not to call, that has nothing to do with free
      speech. It's MY or YOUR choice NOT to be called

Comment

"None Of Your Biz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected]
        On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:09:35 -0500, "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
        OracleofBugtussle wrote:
        Maybe I'm not keeping up, but that's what I thought. Yesterday, I had a message on my machine from some jackass telling something about a free trip to Vegas or something. I think I got more of these junk calls today. (Obviously, my number is one of the 50 million on the list.) -- Oracle
        Yes. But two federal judges have put a halt to the thing as there is apending law suit.The telemarketers are claiming a violation of "free speech".To fight back, get their 800 number. Then call them and let them listen
        to
        some lengthy recording.Then keep calling the number day and night. This racks up the phone billthey have to pay. Free speech my *** !!!!! If people tell them not to call, that has nothing to do with free speech. It's MY or YOUR choice NOT to be called
        What's worse is that under the guise of free speech, they get to use our
        stuff (phone, electricity, service, etc) to get us to listen to their *free
        speech*. The FTC *and* the judge are morons.

Comment

Free speech my *** !!!!! If people tell them not to call, that has nothing to do with free speech. It's MY or YOUR choice NOT to be called
          If you go outside and stand on a soapbox and start spouting off, and
          everybody that walks buy tells you to 'shut up', you are not obligated to
          shut up.

Comment

"Jeeters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]
            Free speech my *** !!!!! If people tell them not to call, that has nothing to do with free speech. It's MY or YOUR choice NOT to be called
            If you go outside and stand on a soapbox and start spouting off, and everybody that walks buy tells you to 'shut up', you are not obligated to shut up.
            Totally different situation. More precisely, if someone walks onto your
            property and plugs their megaphone into your outlet in order to shout
            through your windows, you have the right to unplug their equipment and to
            have them prosecuted for trespass.

It's my phone, my bell, my electricity, and my phone service. I should have
            the right to keep others from using them if I so choose. They can say
            whatever they want. It's just not my responsibility to give them the means
            to get me to listen.

Comment

Jeeters wrote:
              If you go outside and stand on a soapbox and start spouting off, andeverybody that walks buy tells you to 'shut up', you are not obligated toshut up.
              Depends on where you're standing and spouting off. You could never
              go onto someone's private property and do it without permission.
              When an industry (the telemarketing industry), as standard practice,
              intrudes into your private property, on your private phone line, to
              spout, they are doing something that should've been outlawed long
              ago.

--
              Oracle

Comment

[email protected] (OracleofBugtussle) wrote...
                U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centers
                in India, for example. These will continue to come through
                with no problem.

Mark.

Comment

"M. Tettnanger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  news:[email protected] om...
                  U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centers in India, for example. These will continue to come through with no problem. Mark.
                  Why would you think so? If these calls are done for U.S.-based businesses,
                  then I'd think agency law applies and the calls would be imputed to the
                  American principals.

Comment

M. Tettnanger ([email protected]) wrote:
                    : U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centers
                    : in India, for example. These will continue to come through
                    : with no problem.

Ok- whats the most horrible, terrible thing you can say to insult
                    an Indian person? I want the absolute worst, vile phrases to have
                    handy.

---

Holy Temple of Mass $ [email protected] atheist#304 $ "My used underwear
                    Consumption! $ http://www4.ncsu.edu/~aiken/ $ is legal tender in
                    PO Box 30904 $ Warning: I hoard pennies $ 28 countries!"
                    Raleigh, NC 27622 $ AIM:slackx42 Anti-Spam #77 $ --"Bob"

Comment

On 3 Oct 2003 13:17:38 -0700, [email protected] (M.
                      Tettnanger) wrote:
                      U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centersin India, for example. These will continue to come throughwith no problem.Mark.

Try getting your facts straight rather than posting with both feet
                      planted firmly in your mouth.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm

32. Are telemarketing calls from overseas covered?
                      Yes. Any telemarketers calling U.S. consumers are covered, regardless
                      of where they are calling from. If a company within the U.S. solicits
                      sales through an overseas professional telemarketer, that U.S. company
                      is liable for any violations by the telemarketer. The FTC can initiate
                      enforcement actions against such companies.

Comment

In article <[email protected]> in misc.consumers,
                        Wayne Aiken <[email protected]> wrote:
                        Ok- whats the most horrible, terrible thing you can say to insultan Indian person? I want the absolute worst, vile phrases to havehandy.
                        Is this a Monty Python question? One of their episodes had a game
                        show where contestants had to think up insulting terms for the
                        Belgians. "The Flems" was number 2, but the winner was the lady who
                        said primly "I can't think of anything worse to call them than just
                        Belgians."

I'm sure you can come up with bigoted and racist remarks for
                        citizens of India on your own, without our help. Or of course you
                        could call them a "Wayne Aiken".

--
                        Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
                        http://OakRoadSystems.com
                        Address munging may or may not reduce the spam you get; it surely
                        reduces the number of useful answers you get.
                        http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/laws.html

Comment

Bob Ward wrote:
                          On 3 Oct 2003 13:17:38 -0700, [email protected] (M. Tettnanger) wrote:
                          U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centersin India, for example. These will continue to come throughwith no problem.Mark.
                          Try getting your facts straight rather than posting with both feet planted firmly in your mouth. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm 32. Are telemarketing calls from overseas covered? Yes. Any telemarketers calling U.S. consumers are covered, regardless of where they are calling from. If a company within the U.S. solicits sales through an overseas professional telemarketer, that U.S. company is liable for any violations by the telemarketer. The FTC can initiate enforcement actions against such companies.
                          Be interesting to see how the FTC can obtain jurisdiction over a company
                          (1) located in India; (2) with no offices or assets in the U.S.; (3) For
                          the actions committed in India.

Interesting to see how they would enforce such an order if the courts in
                          India decide not to go along. Maybe they just invade and kidnap whoever
                          did this, ala Alvarez-Machain in Mexico, or cut off India's phone
                          connections to the U.S.?

--
                          Paul Robinson "Above all else... We shall go on..."
                          "...And continue!"
                          "If the lessons of history teach us anything it is
                          that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us."

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                            Paul Robinson <[email protected]> wrote:
                            Bob Ward wrote:
                            [email protected] (OracleofBugtussle) wrote...> Maybe I'm not keeping up, but that's what I thought.U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centersin India, for example. These will continue to come throughwith no problem.Mark.
                            Try getting your facts straight rather than posting with both feet planted firmly in your mouth. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm 32. Are telemarketing calls from overseas covered? Yes. Any telemarketers calling U.S. consumers are covered, regardless of where they are calling from. If a company within the U.S. solicits sales through an overseas professional telemarketer, that U.S. company is liable for any violations by the telemarketer. The FTC can initiate enforcement actions against such companies.
                            Be interesting to see how the FTC can obtain jurisdiction over a company(1) located in India; (2) with no offices or assets in the U.S.; (3) Forthe actions committed in India.Interesting to see how they would enforce such an order if the courts inIndia decide not to go along. Maybe they just invade and kidnap whoeverdid this, ala Alvarez-Machain in Mexico, or cut off India's phoneconnections to the U.S.?
                            Why is this hypothetical company in India, with no assets or offices
                            in the U.S., making calls to the U.S.? What's in it for them?

Comment

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:34:32 GMT, Paul Robinson
                              <[email protected]> wrote:
                              Bob Ward wrote:
                              [email protected] (OracleofBugtussle) wrote...> Maybe I'm not keeping up, but that's what I thought.U.S. laws don't apply to any of the outsourced call centersin India, for example. These will continue to come throughwith no problem.Mark.
                              Be interesting to see how the FTC can obtain jurisdiction over a company(1) located in India; (2) with no offices or assets in the U.S.; (3) Forthe actions committed in India.Interesting to see how they would enforce such an order if the courts inIndia decide not to go along. Maybe they just invade and kidnap whoeverdid this, ala Alvarez-Machain in Mexico, or cut off India's phoneconnections to the U.S.?

Read it again. Feel free to move your lips if that helps you
                              concentrate. Read these words in particular: "If a company within
                              the U.S. solicits sales through an overseas professional telemarketer,
                              that U.S. company is liable for any violations by the telemarketer.
                              The FTC can initiate enforcement actions against such companies."

Do you need help sounding out the five-syllable words?

Comment

Working...
                              X