Transfer of Title date issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of Title date issue

So I sold a car to someone who seemingly went off the rails, didn't mail in their half of the transfer of ownership paper, and then got a few traffic tickets, and then had the car impounded.

I started receiving the tickets, and so then contacted the DMV and, much to my horror, my transfer of ownership form hadn't been received. This was at least a month later.

So it seemed to me that I was thus responsible for all the tickets, but I went and entered the transfer online with the DMV. I was easily able to get out of the traffic tickets, but the towing company went to a collection agency. I've mailed them a copy I had made of the transfer of ownership form. They insist that this isn't enough, because while the sale date is listed as before the event happend, the actual transfer of ownership happend after the fact.

It seems to me they have a point, but everyone else I talk to (including the sheriff who had the car impounded) say that I'm not responsible. What do I do? The collection agency won't take no for an answer. Do I pay them? It's about $1800.

You could pay them - of course that would be the least hassle. However; if it seems you don't owe them, you can talk to a lawyer. You can also hold & see if they sue you. If they do, you can use the above that you posted as your defense. You really don't have to pay anything unless ordered to by a court/judge.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      You could pay them - of course that would be the least hassle. However; if it seems you don't owe them, you can talk to a lawyer. You can also hold & see if they sue you. If they do, you can use the above that you posted as your defense. You really don't have to pay anything unless ordered to by a court/judge.
      Thanks, I'd love to just let it sit, and not pay them, but they claim that it is gaining interest, and that it will negatively effect my credit rating.

Comment

Yea, that's always a problem - most report to the credit bureaus.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

No bill of sale to provide a copy of?
          I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
          Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
          I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
          Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Working...
          X