This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title Washing Scam Victim Michigan

I purchased a car from a private party in Michigan about a year ago that at one time had a salvaged title. I didn't find this out until I moved to Colorado and attempted to switch my insurance since its registered in CO now.

When I purchased the car, the seller had a clean title in hand, so I didn't think to get a car fax history report which is my own fault. After reviewing the history report sent to me by my insurance company, I found the vehicle had been in an accident in another state, given a salvage title, and then transferred into MI where it was given a clean title. I believe this is a case of a title "washing" scam where a vehicle is transferred to another state so it can be given a clean title.

I'm trying to figure out what action(s) I can take if any to get my money back and give the car back to the seller. I've already contacted the MI state police, DMV, and reported it to my local police agency here in CO. I also spoke with a fraud detective in CO, and so far I've received no help at all and get the run-around from whoever I talk with. I'm just not sure where to turn to from here. I'm working to get the sellers contact information form the MI DMV. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally Posted by damage750
    I purchased a car from a private party in Michigan about a year ago that at one time had a salvaged title. I didn't find this out until I moved to Colorado and attempted to switch my insurance since its registered in CO now.

When I purchased the car, the seller had a clean title in hand, so I didn't think to get a car fax history report which is my own fault. After reviewing the history report sent to me by my insurance company, I found the vehicle had been in an accident in another state, given a salvage title, and then transferred into MI where it was given a clean title. I believe this is a case of a title "washing" scam where a vehicle is transferred to another state so it can be given a clean title.

I'm trying to figure out what action(s) I can take if any to get my money back and give the car back to the seller. I've already contacted the MI state police, DMV, and reported it to my local police agency here in CO. I also spoke with a fraud detective in CO, and so far I've received no help at all and get the run-around from whoever I talk with. I'm just not sure where to turn to from here. I'm working to get the sellers contact information form the MI DMV. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you're receiving no help at all, that should tell you something, that being, you're only option may be to take this guy to court, provided you find him, and... He's where, in Michigan?
    Other than the car having a salvaged title is there anything wrong with it?
    What it may come down to is you're going to have to decide how much are you willing to spend to go after this guy?
    Even if you were to find him, the chances of prevailing in court are 50/50 at best.
    But, it's up to you.
    Good Luck.

.. _________________
    ~Free advice is like a public defender,
    you get what you pay for. ~ drr
    Last edited by drruthless; 08-07-2012, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Maybe we can help!

I was in a similar situation but my company was able to help me out.
      Originally posted by damage750 View Post

Last edited by cbg; 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by alisha366 View Post
        I was in a similar situation but my company was able to help me out. .
        Before your response is deleted as spam, would you care to take the opportunity to elaborate a little more ??

..___________________
        ~ We’re sorry, but the position of God has been filled. There is however a job for an @sshole.
        I applied but was turned down,
        …over qualified
        Last edited by cbg; 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post

Originally Posted by damage750

Other than the car having a salvaged title is there anything wrong with it?
          What it may come down to is you're going to have to decide how much are you willing to spend to go after this guy?
          Even if you were to find him, the chances of prevailing in court are 50/50 at best.
          But, it's up to you.
          Good Luck.

.. _________________
          ~Free advice is like a public defender,
          you get what you pay for. ~ drr
          There isn't anything really wrong with the car. The part I'm having trouble with is what to do with the car. If I attempt to sell it I'll lose my tail on it because of its history, and if I were to try and trade it in anywhere, It'd be the same story because of what its been through. I'm basically stuck paying for a car each month that isn't worth what I have left to pay on it. I want to get rid of it, but don't want someone to come back on me because of the title issue, even though its got a clean title. I don't want to be dishonest either and have someone else end up in the same boat. Just not sure where to turn, or what to do at this point.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by damage750 View Post
            There isn't anything really wrong with the car. The part I'm having trouble with is what to do with the car. If I attempt to sell it I'll lose my tail on it because of its history, and if I were to try and trade it in anywhere, It'd be the same story because of what its been through. I'm basically stuck paying for a car each month that isn't worth what I have left to pay on it. I want to get rid of it, but don't want someone to come back on me because of the title issue, even though its got a clean title. I don't want to be dishonest either and have someone else end up in the same boat. Just not sure where to turn, or what to do at this point.
            I don't mean to sound harsh but it's all going to come down to the dollars and the sense you should have had, to check out the car a little more closely before you bought it.
            But heh, I'm guilty of doing the same thing but on a much, much larger scale.
            You're lucky it was only a car.
            Never buy a house from a teacher your ex-wife had back in hi school,
            and never, never ever believe everything a Real Estate agent will tell you..

It was my first wife and my first house,
            I no longer have either...
            .._____________________
            ~ Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted. ~ Dr. Randy Pausch
            Last edited by drruthless; 08-29-2012, 04:00 AM.

Comment

The minute you drive a car off the lot it is no longer worth what you owe on it. That is the nature of cars. If you sell it, offer the car fax with it. If it has been running fine for you, that shouldn't be a problem.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                The minute you drive a car off the lot it is no longer worth what you owe on it.
                No kidding!
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty & Elle, that is why I am so careful with the vehicles I buy. My first truck I had for fourteen years and 385,000 miles. When I was in California I wanted to get a marriage license for it, but the clerk thought I was on mushrooms or something.

And rightfully so. If I have a title to it, I might as well make darned sure I get my money's worth from it. If my wife stuck it out with me like my truck did....
                  the forest fires we served in....
                  the flood we served on....
                  the multitude of gas & oil wells we serviced....
                  in the hottest summers and coldest winters....
                  with enough rain to float the Bismarck and enough snow to bury Mt. Everest....
                  suffice it to say, she couldn't understand why I loved my truck so much.

If the crank angle sensor didn't go out I'd have kept it. Dang it.

Still not sure which is emotionally harder. Getting rid of my truck or getting a divorce.
                  Last edited by cactus jack; 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM.
                  I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                  Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                  I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                  Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by cactus jack View Post
                    Betty & Elle, that is why I am so careful with the vehicles I buy. My first truck I had for fourteen years and 385,000 miles. When I was in California I wanted to get a marriage license for it, but the clerk thought I was on mushrooms or something.

And rightfully so. If I have a title to it, I might as well make darned sure I get my money's worth from it. If my wife stuck it out with me like my truck did....
                    the forest fires we served in....
                    the flood we served on....
                    the multitude of gas & oil wells we serviced....
                    in the hottest summers and coldest winters....
                    with enough rain to float the Bismarck and enough snow to bury Mt. Everest....
                    suffice it to say, she couldn't understand why I loved my truck so much.

If the crank angle sensor didn't go out I'd have kept it. Dang it.

Still not sure which is emotionally harder. Getting rid of my truck or getting a divorce.
                    A good truck or a good wife, one or the other can turn into a high maintenance item as the result of poor choice.
                    In a way it's sad you got better mileage out of the truck.

..___________________
                    ~ Experience is what you get when you didnít get what you wanted. ~ Pausch

Comment

Working...
                    X