This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car a junk? Ohio Oklahoma

Ok so i just bought me a used 1998 Mitsubishi Galant. I bought it from a used dealer ship. When we purchased the car my parents purchased it. When we talked to the dealer he said the the title was fine and that there were no problems with the car and they had there on-site mechanic look at it the day it arrived. We bought the car for $1,500 cause we payed straight cash original was $2,000. After purchasing it and driving it home it seemed fine the only thing i noticed was that to have the radiator stay attached to the car they have clothes hangers twisted to hold it. After the first week the lower ball joint broke on it and i didnt think anything of it because Mitsubishi reported a recall on all of these ball joints. I have now owned the car for 2 months and starting to have alot of irregualr problems. I called Mitsubishi the other day because the pivot bolt for my alternator broke and i didnt know the size so i called to ask for the size. Well they needed the vin # i dont know why but i gave it to them. Then she tried to pull up info on the Galant and she said it was Salvaged and there was no info on the car as it was totalled. This concerened me and i told the lady that i just bought the car and that it was sitting in my drive-way and gave her the vin again to be sure. She said the same thing that it was salvaged. Well upon looking at the car closely all over we have found many problems. The front clip is welded on and very badly at that, it was painted over so you couldnt see them and when we were running fingers over weld areas the paint chipped off and there are huge holes in the clip because of improper weld and the welds are starting to decay cause they were not done properly. The engine mounts look as they are glued on at best as there is not weld and the metal is not connected. The car frame is also looking to be rusting as you can see from the inside but the outside is triple painted so you cant notice. The title says nothing of being salvaged. The dealer said it was looked at by a mechanic and there were no problems with it. As the first month i did repairs but they were usuall like oil leeks and things but started to notice them more persictent. When we bought it, it was sold as is with no warranty though, but he still didnt report to us the salvage. I'm currently goin to get a autocheck.com vin check as it says there are 23 problems and so i can see further. So do i have any legal action against them? I have many people tell me that i should be able to get my money back with payment of repairs apon proof of recipts. So does anyone have any advice as i need to repair my radiator now cause it keeps leaking and car keeps on overheating and this seems to be problem cause the bottom seems to be cracking.

Title

Take the vehicle to your states department of motor vehicles, once a vehicle has been salvaged they don't normally get put back on the street, but with certain work and an inspection it can be done. Did you get a title with the same numbers from the state? If so then your vehicle has been rebuilt and inspected, if not then you may have grounds for a law suit.

The dealership or manufacturer would not have knowlage of rebuiding.

RCPilots Lesson for buying cars, If the salesman can afford to drop the price by 25%, the vehicle is only worth half what you are paying for it (after the reduction).
    What is veiwed is not always what is seen and
    what is heard is not always what is spoken!
    ~M. Noitall~

Comment

yep- u need to see the title to the vehicle. if it is branded (salvage, etc) then ask to see the disclosure you signed stating that they informed you of this- if they can't produce it- tell them you want your money back and give them the keys.

Comment

Well the reason they droped the price on it was since we were paying them cash and not in check or other methods. As for the title(pink slip) that i have i does not say anything bout it being a junked title or it being a salvaged title and it should state if it is or not. If it was rebuilt it was done poorly. I like the car but if they dont get fixed then there will be major problems in the future and the only thing is the cost of repair will probably end up being more then i payed for the car.

Comment

Ok so went by DMV and they said they cant find any information on the car, but they also said they have been haven some problems and said to come back tommrow, but i did talk to one of the guys up there and they looked at the car. He said the way the car looked you cant really tell problems because they attempted to hide them but if you have spot rot detector and other tools you can tell the poor condition of it. Also he said all the wear that he sees is all from a accident and was done for a quick fix. he noticed that there are two engine mounts attached to the body but not even bolted to the engine and the most of the parts are warped and show major signs of stress. He said that as much damage there was to the car he belives that the dealership would have to inform me of the problems, or atleast tell me that the car was a salvaged car. So now my new questions, do i have a law suit here? Also in case of a suit could i ask for money back, or could i ask for money to repair all items that need repair after getting a estimate from a licensed mechanic, except the items that needed to be replaced reguarly like simple things like oil, or other parts under recalls?

Comment

So now my new questions, do i have a law suit here? Also in case of a suit could i ask for money back, or could i ask for money to repair all items that need repair after getting a estimate from a licensed mechanic, except the items that needed to be replaced reguarly like simple things like oil, or other parts under recalls?

You may have a small claims case for the amount you paid the car dealer...if he's still there.

After purchasing it and driving it home it seemed fine the only thing i noticed was that to have the radiator stay attached to the car they have clothes hangers twisted to hold it.

You didn't notice this BEFORE you bought it?
            “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No i didnt notice it. I looked at it once when we went car shopping and then my parents went and looked at the cars i told them and that is the one they got me so buy the time i bought it i didnt get a good look. I looked at it for 5 mins. and if you look at it that fast you actually dont notice because one side is bolted down like its suppose to be and the other side has the hanger on the other side hidden. I talked to my parents and apparently they got 2 titles i didnt know why, but then after i started reading over them one just says title and has information with vin and everything then says my moms name and mine and then under that says these are owners in lamens terms. Then on the other one though it says rebuilt title and has no names on it that i can see though there is some writing that is impossible to read and some more writing that is so faded you cant see. So if it is under a rebuilt title is there nothing i can do?

Comment

if it truely a branded title- and the court house would have to tell you that- then they have to get your signature stating that they disclosed the title's status to you when you bought it. you need to take the vin to the clerks and have them run it. if it is branded, get them to give you a printout and go to the delaership. Ask to speak to the general manager. Tell him that you were unaware of any title issues and ask him to show you the papers that you signed acknowledging branding on the title. when he can't, ask for your money back. if he refuses, contact an atty. You are wasting your time trying to get them to pay to fix it. They can take it to auction and get out from under it with less expense. Also, if your name was not on the deal, they cannot talk to you about it (privacy laws) so take a parents who is on the paperwork. One pretty good way to find stuff out is carfax.com also, next time you shop, don't trust their mechanic- pay to have an independent inspection. if it is not branded and you signed an as is, you are pretty much out of luck. You can try to take it to small claims court, and you might win, but it's gonna cost.

Comment

Always pay for a mechanic you trust to look a used car over before you buy it. If you don't have a mechanic you trust, start asking people.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Well the thing is i am a mechanic, but as the saying goes mechanics never are good at taking care of there own cars. I haveing been taking classes for 4 years in mechanics and automotive programming and work on designing fuel maps and spark timing for import vehicles. I inspected for the main visuals then took spot rot sticks and oxidiz detect and the spots that i checked were fine but the only reason we didnt notice was because the paint was so thick... I go to dmv agian tommrow to see if they could find any information on the car...

Comment

In many states, a salvage title can be changed to a restored title if work is done on the car to bring it back into shape. And there is no law against driving the car with a salvage title, provided it is safe to drive. All the salvage title really does is lower the book value to near zero, since an insurance company somewhere has already paid out a "total loss" payment on the car.

Comment

Working...
                      X