• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car title was stolen and transferred Texas

message deleted
    Last edited by 1122; 07-03-2006, 08:48 PM. Reason: deleted

Originally posted by 1122
    My 20 year old brother stole the title to a car owned by my parent's. They still have the car but he has the title. He forged my dad's signature and transferred the title into his name and refuses to give the title back (this happened 7 months ago). What can be done about this so they can get the title back? Isn't it considered a felony though? Does anyone know what kind of legal punishment he can get from this?
    Yes,it is a felony,it is another way to steal a car! I would contact the police and make a report about the stolen title,then take that report to the D.M.V,then they could let you know what to do from there! Good luck to you!!

Comment

my mom is worried about sending him to jail for a long time if she turns him in for stealing the title and forging the name. does anyone know what possible punishments are for what he did (amount of jail time, etc)? is there any way to get the title back without turning him in to the police?
      Yes,tell him either he hands it over within 24 hours or a police report will be filed and charges pressed,maybe the scare of the facts will make him relinquish the title,signed back over to you! This is the only way! Sorry hon!

Comment

I found something

It was published in Washington,so the time may vary,but in Washington,a first time offender of stealing a car itself,was 0-60 days in jail,and it took 7 convictions before the offender faced over a year in court. There are laws in certain states that are like a 3 strikes your out law,which means if you are found guilty for the same crime 3 times,your penalty could increase drastically!!! Since this is his first time,and it is only the paperwork,he may face less time. They also have to keep in mind,the forgery with the D.M.V I would call your local district attorneys office and ask how much time would a person get for doing this. You may at least get a general idea. Good luck. Maybe just the threat alone will work! You can remind him,that forging a document for a State Office,like D.M.V,is very serious,so he would get in more trouble for that,then having possesion of the original title itself. I would say,sign it back over to me,or the only other option I would have is to contact authorities. Not sure,but it may even be a federal offense to lie to the D.M.V Officer Mitchell here,is just that,a law enforcement officer,so I would contact him here,and ask him what he thinks. Good luck again!!

Comment

so sad!

Thank you for your help. He refuses to hand over the title. Somehow he is convinced that nothing can happen to him. The only choice seems to be going to the police.
          There may have been next to nothing to be done by taking the title,but you can let him know,it is a much bigger offense to hand over forged documents to the Department Of Motor Vehicles. Maybe with this information,he will change his mind. If not,tell mom sorry,but if she doesn't do anything,he will be right,he can break the law without anything happening to him,because mommy will protect him. So so sorry guys!! What a terrible son to do this!!

Comment

also!!

Originally posted by turbowray
            There may have been next to nothing to be done by taking the title,but you can let him know,it is a much bigger offense to hand over forged documents to the Department Of Motor Vehicles. Maybe with this information,he will change his mind. If not,tell mom sorry,but if she doesn't do anything,he will be right,he can break the law without anything happening to him,because mommy will protect him. So so sorry guys!! What a terrible son to do this!!
            Remind him that the district attorneys office has a forgery expert that WILL be able to determine that the signature on the title was not the owners but his!!! The law isnt stupid you know! You can tell him that I said this,and anyone ****y enough to think they could break the law,and lie to a government agency,and do this to thier parents,will be punished to the fullest extent of the law!!!!

Comment

Thank you very much for your help

Comment

Keep me posted 1122!!

Thank you very much for your help
                I Hope he sees the light and gives her the title back! Good luck,sorry I couldn't do more for you!

Comment

Hello...im new here...but the same thing just happened to me. I had my fiancee living with me...things went sour and she left...well my truck was impounded, cuz I was driving with a suspended license (taken care of now)...when I went to find out how much the truck was to get out of impound, it was $1300 to get out, plus the registered owner was to get it out. Well a few weeks before this happened a new license plate and registration came to my house...with her name on it!! well we lived very busy lives and I rarely saw her towards the end of our relationship...needless to say she took all the paperwork..etc...for the truck ...now she left me, took the truck out of impound and is driving it around town with her new bf!!. I never signed anything over to her, let alone give her the pink sliip. It was in my Dad's files. I'm trying to find out what steps need to be taken with this. I want my truck back and the pink slip put back into my name.

Comment

well

Originally posted by stevenvee
                    Hello...im new here...but the same thing just happened to me. I had my fiancee living with me...things went sour and she left...well my truck was impounded, cuz I was driving with a suspended license (taken care of now)...when I went to find out how much the truck was to get out of impound, it was $1300 to get out, plus the registered owner was to get it out. Well a few weeks before this happened a new license plate and registration came to my house...with her name on it!! well we lived very busy lives and I rarely saw her towards the end of our relationship...needless to say she took all the paperwork..etc...for the truck ...now she left me, took the truck out of impound and is driving it around town with her new bf!!. I never signed anything over to her, let alone give her the pink sliip. It was in my Dad's files. I'm trying to find out what steps need to be taken with this. I want my truck back and the pink slip put back into my name.
                    Contact you local Department of Motor Vehicles and see what the process is there to file a grievence because it was forged and stolen. First report it stolen with the police (the title not the truck,unless the police tell you you can),then take a copy of the report to the D.M.V,and see what they say. Tell them you would be more than happy to give them your signature to compare to the signature on the title. Let me know what the police and the D.M.V say. Did you keep the license plate and the registration? I would give it to the D.M.V when you go file the grievence (complaint).
                    Last edited by turbowray; 07-05-2006, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I am going soon to the DMV to find out the process...however she has all the new license plates and registration.....i do have the original license plate that i got when i purchased the car.... =/ ....so there are high crimes involved with this?

Comment

I went to the DMV and they gave me a paper to request microfilms of the signature from the bill of sale/title, they also stated to contact the local police and file a report of those items stolen and forged and go from there...so..we'll see how that goes..

Comment

glad you got the ball rolling

Originally posted by stevenvee
                          I went to the DMV and they gave me a paper to request microfilms of the signature from the bill of sale/title, they also stated to contact the local police and file a report of those items stolen and forged and go from there...so..we'll see how that goes..
                          Let us know how it goes from here!

Comment

Working...
                          X