have a few general questions:

- does it matter how many points I have in excess of the selection
    point (100), or is everything equivalent above that? (aside from the
    possibility that my claims may or may not be interpreted as
    generously as I might hope...)

- if I have enough points *without* a job offer, submit an EOI, am
    invited to apply for residence, and meet all the requirements, can I
    expect to be offered a PR? Will they really let me move to NZ to
    look for work, or is there a de facto requirement of a job offer?

- does the process include an interview, or is everything handled
    through official documents?

- GF and I have been living together for about 18 months, however
    other than her address registration with the tax authority, we lack
    any real documentation of this fact (she moved into the apartment I
    own, and the bills are in my name). How much proof do we need of our
    "genuine and stable" relationship?

- I'm under the impression that most countries let you import your
    personal belongings without duty or VAT/GST within the first 6-12
    months after immigrating, but can't find any documents about that on
    the NZ customs site. Does anyone know for sure what the case is for
    NZ, or know where I should be looking?

- most of the people posting here seem to be headed for Australia and
    are using an agent to help them apply. My initial impression is that
    the rules for NZ aren't nearly as complicated, and that it's mostly
    just a matter of getting the relevant paperwork together. Am I being
    naive? Approx how much does an agent cost anyway, and how do you
    find one?

Thanks for any comments you might have.

/gordon

--

NZ Skilled Migrant general questions

On 3 Oct 2005 16:07:35 +0200, Gordon Beaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    [msge snipped]
    - I'm under the impression that most countries let you import your personal belongings without duty or VAT/GST within the first 6-12 months after immigrating, but can't find any documents about that on the NZ customs site. Does anyone know for sure what the case is for NZ, or know where I should be looking?
    Belongings are entered free of GST providing they meet the criteria of
    Customs [which is on their website].

All new goods *must* be declared - don't even try and enter belongings
    that are new as used/not declared, nor fudge the cost of items.

However don't be fooled by what they say on their website as I queried
    about taking [new] disability aids for personal use and was informed
    they would not only attract GST but GST on the freight portion as
    well.

Entering 'household goods' on their search box comes up with several
    links.

There are links on the Customs website to 'Contact Us' which I would
    highly recommend so you can get a 100% accurate answer.

All goods are subject to MAF inspection and fumigation.
    Throw out anything with pine cones for starters including those small
    pine cones on Christmas decorations - they require an additional
    fumigation process which IMHO, is not worth it.

Cath

- most of the people posting here seem to be headed for Australia and are using an agent to help them apply. My initial impression is that the rules for NZ aren't nearly as complicated, and that it's mostly just a matter of getting the relevant paperwork together. Am I being naive? Approx how much does an agent cost anyway, and how do you find one?Thanks for any comments you might have./gordon

Comment

The answer to most of your questions is "Yes". Tax documents are very
      credible. The rules are more simple because there is a shortage of migrants
      at present. This is because salaries are lower than Australia.

You may want to come on a "summer holiday" and look for a job while here.
      This is quite acceptable as migrants who have come this way are more likely
      to stay. The problem is that employers do not like waiting for you to go
      home, pack, and return.
      My GF and I are in the early stages of considering moving to NZ under the Skilled Migrant programme. So far we've only been wading through the documentation on immigration.govt.nz, but I'm pretty confident of getting more than the 100 necessary points. Although it's still early (I haven't even submitted an EOI yet) I do have a few general questions: - does it matter how many points I have in excess of the selection point (100), or is everything equivalent above that? (aside from the possibility that my claims may or may not be interpreted as generously as I might hope...) - if I have enough points *without* a job offer, submit an EOI, am invited to apply for residence, and meet all the requirements, can I expect to be offered a PR? Will they really let me move to NZ to look for work, or is there a de facto requirement of a job offer? - does the process include an interview, or is everything handled through official documents? - GF and I have been living together for about 18 months, however other than her address registration with the tax authority, we lack any real documentation of this fact (she moved into the apartment I own, and the bills are in my name). How much proof do we need of our "genuine and stable" relationship? - I'm under the impression that most countries let you import your personal belongings without duty or VAT/GST within the first 6-12 months after immigrating, but can't find any documents about that on the NZ customs site. Does anyone know for sure what the case is for NZ, or know where I should be looking? - most of the people posting here seem to be headed for Australia and are using an agent to help them apply. My initial impression is that the rules for NZ aren't nearly as complicated, and that it's mostly just a matter of getting the relevant paperwork together. Am I being naive? Approx how much does an agent cost anyway, and how do you find one? Thanks for any comments you might have. /gordon --

Comment

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:47:26 +1300, Neil Raines wrote:
        The answer to most of your questions is "Yes". Tax documents are very credible. The rules are more simple because there is a shortage of migrants at present. This is because salaries are lower than Australia. You may want to come on a "summer holiday" and look for a job while here. This is quite acceptable as migrants who have come this way are more likely to stay. The problem is that employers do not like waiting for you to go home, pack, and return.
        Thanks for your comments.

Actually we've already booked a trip to Auckland in Feb 2006, partly
        because it seems silly to make such a big decision without ever having
        been there (although I've spent quite a bit of time in Sydney) and
        partly to be available for interviews.

I understand that salaries are lower in NZ than in Australia, but it
        seems from what I've read that it's also true of prices and taxes. And
        compared to here in Sweden the gap is even larger...

/gordon

--

Comment

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:01:48 -0500,
          [email protected] wrote:
          Entering 'household goods' on their search box comes up with several links.
          Yes, now I've found it - thanks.
          Throw out anything with pine cones for starters including those small pine cones on Christmas decorations - they require an additional fumigation process which IMHO, is not worth it.
          Hmm, don't have any pine cones...

/gordon

--

Comment

"Gordon Beaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]
            My GF and I are in the early stages of considering moving to NZ under the Skilled Migrant programme. So far we've only been wading through the documentation on immigration.govt.nz, but I'm pretty confident of getting more than the 100 necessary points. Although it's still early (I haven't even submitted an EOI yet) I do have a few general questions: - does it matter how many points I have in excess of the selection point (100), or is everything equivalent above that? (aside from the possibility that my claims may or may not be interpreted as generously as I might hope...)
            At the moment, probably not as the pass mark is 100. Consider what might
            happen if the threshold is raised though.
            - if I have enough points *without* a job offer, submit an EOI, am invited to apply for residence, and meet all the requirements, can I expect to be offered a PR?
            Eventually, yes. You need to serve you time first though ie in the first
            two years, you need to have spent at least 180 days in NZ in each year
            before they will give you an *Indefinite* Returning Residents visa. As
            others have said in the past, the ultimate goal should be citizenship.
            Will they really let me move to NZ to look for work, or is there a de facto requirement of a job offer?
            As long as you have enough points without needing a job offer then no. The
            only exception I can think of is that you need to be able to support
            yourself. If your skills are in an area they are looking for, then fine, if
            not then it might not be as clear cut.
            - does the process include an interview, or is everything handled through official documents?
            It might involve an interview. Mine was fine.
            - GF and I have been living together for about 18 months, however other than her address registration with the tax authority, we lack any real documentation of this fact (she moved into the apartment I own, and the bills are in my name). How much proof do we need of our "genuine and stable" relationship?
            Telephone records showing you phoning each other etc/invites to
            weddings/parties/letters addressed to both of you. Be creative at this
            point. By that I don't mean create letters but think of evidence out of the
            ordinary. I'm sure lots of people have been in the same situation as
            yourselves, NZIS are aware that not everybody fits the married-with-kids
            mould.

<snip>
            - most of the people posting here seem to be headed for Australia and are using an agent to help them apply. My initial impression is that the rules for NZ aren't nearly as complicated, and that it's mostly just a matter of getting the relevant paperwork together. Am I being naive?
            No, the paperwork is simple enough.
            Approx how much does an agent cost anyway, and how do you find one?
            Dunno but I'd be surprised if you need one.

Comment

My GF and I are in the early stages of considering moving to NZ under the Skilled Migrant programme. So far we've only been wading through the documentation on immigration.govt.nz, but I'm pretty confident of getting more than the 100 necessary points. Although it's still early (I haven't even submitted an EOI yet) I do have a few general questions: - does it matter how many points I have in excess of the selection point (100), or is everything equivalent above that? (aside from the possibility that my claims may or may not be interpreted as generously as I might hope...) - if I have enough points *without* a job offer, submit an EOI, am invited to apply for residence, and meet all the requirements, can I expect to be offered a PR? Will they really let me move to NZ to look for work, or is there a de facto requirement of a job offer? - does the process include an interview, or is everything handled through official documents? - GF and I have been living together for about 18 months, however other than her address registration with the tax authority, we lack any real documentation of this fact (she moved into the apartment I own, and the bills are in my name). How much proof do we need of our "genuine and stable" relationship? - I'm under the impression that most countries let you import your personal belongings without duty or VAT/GST within the first 6-12 months after immigrating, but can't find any documents about that on the NZ customs site. Does anyone know for sure what the case is for NZ, or know where I should be looking? - most of the people posting here seem to be headed for Australia and are using an agent to help them apply. My initial impression is that the rules for NZ aren't nearly as complicated, and that it's mostly just a matter of getting the relevant paperwork together. Am I being naive? Approx how much does an agent cost anyway, and how do you find one? Thanks for any comments you might have. /gordon --
              Hi Gordon,

As Dave mentionned, I think that if you do not have a job offer in NZ,
              you might have to go through and interview with your Case Officer. It
              can either be a phone one, or in person, if you can travel to the place
              where your application is dealt with. They just need to know how well
              you will fit in NZ and if you can manage. For all the people I have
              spoken who went through the interview, it went really well

As far of proof of relationship, we sent a couple of photos, airline
              ticket stubs with both our names, a joint tenancy bill, some emails and
              originals/copies of bank statements (although not joint but showing that
              we lived at the same address)

Jen

--
              Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

Any country would be cheaper than Sweden!

Marketing data shows that New Zealand is closer to Sweden than Australia in
                social attitudes.
                Thanks for your comments. Actually we've already booked a trip to Auckland in Feb 2006, partly because it seems silly to make such a big decision without ever having been there (although I've spent quite a bit of time in Sydney) and partly to be available for interviews. I understand that salaries are lower in NZ than in Australia, but it seems from what I've read that it's also true of prices and taxes. And compared to here in Sweden the gap is even larger... /gordon --

Comment

Working...
                X