Photos

hopefully this will not only help me but others that are in
    similar positions

thanks in advance

sue

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

TRA - is this enough info

hi all nearly ready to send of TRA application, going to get all copies certified by solicitor but want to make sure that i have got sufficient info to send. i am a self employed hairdresser with my own salon with 8 years experience. here is a list of the info ive collected, is it enough or do i need more TRA application Stat declaration Copy of registration certificate showing that I am in business Statement from my accountant Copies of City & Guilds certificates 3 references from wholesaler’s to verify that they supply to my business Copy of invoice from each supplier showing goods bought from them 7 references from customers stating that I have done there hair for 8 years Copy of my insurance document for employers liability plus letter from broker Certificate of registration for ear piercing from borough council Statement from member of my staff to stating that she has worked for me Copy of passport Copy of PAYE reference number from the inland revenue Copies of last 5 years paying in books from inland revenue Photos hopefully this will not only help me but others that are in similar positions thanks in advance sue
    My wife's a hairdresser (NVQ Level 2) and passed the TRA no problem and
    you have much more experience so I dont think you have anything to worry
    about there. You probably have it but dont forget your copy of your
    Birth certificate either. I take it you are doing the application by
    yourself and not using an agent then?

R.

--

Comment

My wife's a hairdresser (NVQ Level 2) and passed the TRA no problem and you have much more experience so I dont think you have anything to worry about there. You probably have it but dont forget your copy of your Birth certificate either. I take it you are doing the application by yourself and not using an agent then? R.
      No, going it alone but doing my head in, yes got birth certificate but
      forgot to put in list.
      thanks.
      sue

--

Comment

No, going it alone but doing my head in, yes got birth certificate but forgot to put in list. thanks. sue
        We are DIY too and have recieved some good advice on this forum form all
        the mods, members & agents too.

Anyways, good luck with the TRA app........its a breeze!

R.

--

Comment

hi all nearly ready to send of TRA application, going to get all copies certified by solicitor but want to make sure that i have got sufficient info to send. i am a self employed hairdresser with my own salon with 8 years experience. here is a list of the info ive collected, is it enough or do i need more TRA application Stat declaration Copy of registration certificate showing that I am in business Statement from my accountant Copies of City & Guilds certificates 3 references from wholesaler’s to verify that they supply to my business Copy of invoice from each supplier showing goods bought from them 7 references from customers stating that I have done there hair for 8 years Copy of my insurance document for employers liability plus letter from broker Certificate of registration for ear piercing from borough council Statement from member of my staff to stating that she has worked for me Copy of passport Copy of PAYE reference number from the inland revenue Copies of last 5 years paying in books from inland revenue Photos hopefully this will not only help me but others that are in similar positions thanks in advance sue
          As well as a statement from our accountant, we supplied 6 years
          profit/loss sheets from accountant. (On advice from agent).

Carole

--

Comment

As well as a statement from our accountant, we supplied 6 years profit/loss sheets from accountant. (On advice from agent). Carole
            thanks
            thats another to add to the list

sue

--

Comment

thanks thats another to add to the list sue
              Hi - just picking up on what Russ said above - my hubbie is a plumber
              and other plumbers on here said he would pass piece of cake cosw her had
              more experience/qualifications than them BUT he didnt dont mean to give
              you the sh*ts or owt but where we fell down was training and references.
              just because you can produce a piece of paper stating a qualification
              isnt a guaranteed TRA pass as we found out!!!! your reference from
              clients MUST be painfully detailed stating exactly what you do, how you
              do it, with equipment you use to do it - an idiots guide basically!!!
              my hubbie has been a plumber for 15 years and is corgi registered and
              have every qualification under the sun - we failed.

you MUST give details of who you trained under and they must also
              provide a reference. have you got this??

maybe its different for self employed people but I would have thought
              you would DEFINITELY have to provide a training reference?

get it right first time or waste months rushing in and co**ing it up.

Russ?????? can you answer this one??

--

Comment

Hi - just picking up on what Russ said above - my hubbie is a plumber and other plumbers on here said he would pass piece of cake cos her had more experience/qualifications than them BUT he didnt dont mean to give you the sh*ts or owt but where we fell down was training and references. just because you can produce a piece of paper stating a qualification isnt a guaranteed TRA pass as we found out!!!! your reference from clients MUST be painfully detailed stating exactly what you do, how you do it, what equipment you use to do it - an idiots guide basically!!! my hubbie has been a plumber for 15 years and is corgi registered and have every qualification under the sun - we failed. you MUST give details of who you trained under and they must also provide a reference. have you got this?? maybe its different for self employed people but I would have thought you would DEFINITELY have to provide a training reference? get it right first time or waste months rushing in and co**ing it up. Russ?????? can you answer this one??
                After reading the original question again........its different to what I
                read before! LOL

Rooksie is right, you have to give (or they recommend you do) an in
                depth description of all the training you have had and all the
                techniques you have learnt. What tools you used whilst training etc etc.
                Then another in depth description of everything you do now and what you
                have learnt too in all your years in this trade blah, blah, blah.

Like most people say on here write as much as you can and as detailed as
                you can make it..........without copy & pasting it from a book eh!

My wifes description of what she learnt doing the NVQ was about fifteen
                pages and then what she does now was I think about ten. She had a
                reference from her previous boss and one from the current one too. All
                of her certificates like the NVQ, the State Registered Hairdresser
                document, even her certificate as a First Aider.

Also, depending on where you get your documents certified, it may be
                worth you getting two lots done as you will need them all again for the
                main app. Dont get stung by the solicitors fees either. Most (from what
                we have read and also from speaking to a few) will try and charge about
                £5 per copy. We had our TRA stuff done by a JP which cost us nothing
                but we had to sit and wait in court for about an hour. Then when we did
                the 136 app we contacted a solicitor and said we had twenty or so
                documents.....how much for the lot and he did it for £25.

I am sure you will be fine though.

Good luck,

R & C

--

Comment

After reading the original question again........its different to what I read before! LOL Rooksie is right, you have to give (or they recommend you do) an in depth description of all the training you have had and all the techniques you have learnt. What tools you used whilst training etc etc. Then another in depth description of everything you do now and what you have learnt too in all your years in this trade blah, blah, blah. Like most people say on here write as much as you can and as detailed as you can make it..........without copy & pasting it from a book eh! My wifes description of what she learnt doing the NVQ was about fifteen pages and then what she does now was I think about ten. She had a reference from her previous boss and one from the current one too. All of her certificates like the NVQ, the State Registered Hairdresser document, even her certificate as a First Aider. Also, depending on where you get your documents certified, it may be worth you getting two lots done as you will need them all again for the main app. Dont get stung by the solicitors fees either. Most (from what we have read and also from speaking to a few) will try and charge about £5 per copy. We had our TRA stuff done by a JP which cost us nothing but we had to sit and wait in court for about an hour. Then when we did the 136 app we contacted a solicitor and said we had twenty or so documents.....how much for the lot and he did it for £25. I am sure you will be fine though. Good luck, R & C
                  thanks mate - i was starting to feel like the grim reaper!!

--

Comment

thanks mate - i was starting to feel like the grim reaper!!
                    not at all
                    better to be safe than sorry,
                    no doubt this is helping a lot of people in similar position

many thanks

sue

--

Comment

not at all better to be safe than sorry, no doubt this is helping a lot of people in similar position many thanks sue
                      i got to tell you we provided nine pages of hubbies training ref.
                      whilst he was studing for C&G he was working for Shell and he was
                      training on the job at the same time. this reference is VITAL for
                      your tra!!

good luck!!

--

Comment

Hi Sue

My hubby failed TRA he is a fully qualified Electrician, with 2 City &
                        Guilds and over 20 years experience. The reason he failed was due to
                        the fact that he ran a business, and the TRA said that he couldnt be
                        running a business and working 50% of his time on the tools. So just be
                        aware that they will also want proof that you are actually working more
                        than 50% of your day hands on hairdressing.

BTW did I mention we got our visa today anyway
                        YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!
                        We got a State Sponsored Business Owner Visa. Hubby has run his
                        business for over 10 years, so this option was the best one for us
                        in the end.

Hope all goes well for you.

B

--

Comment

Hi Sue My hubby failed TRA he is a fully qualified Electrician, with 2 City & Guilds and over 20 years experience. The reason he failed was due to the fact that he ran a business, and the TRA said that he couldnt be running a business and working 50% of his time on the tools. So just be aware that they will also want proof that you are actually working more than 50% of your day hands on hairdressing. BTW did I mention we got our visa today anyway YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!! We got a State Sponsored Business Owner Visa. Hubby has run his business for over 10 years, so this option was the best one for us in the end. Hope all goes well for you. B
                          congratulations. hope everything goes smoothly from here on in.
                          when do you plan on leaving and where to?

looks like i'm going to need more references from clients.
                          sue

--

Comment

congratulations. hope everything goes smoothly from here on in. when do you plan on leaving and where to? looks like i'm going to need more references from clients. sue
                            Hi Sue

Thanks for the congrats. We are headed for Perth, hopefully next month,
                            just waiting for the house sale to go through. Cant wait.

Get as much info as you possibly can, however irrelevant you might
                            think it is.

Take care

B

--

Comment

The journey is as important as the destination. It is not sufficient to
                              demonstrate that you are skilled. You must aslo demonstrate how you
                              became skilled. So you must provide documentary evidence - ie employer
                              statement(s) - of your initial on-job training and work experience
                              before you became self employed. TRA will be looking for a number of
                              years supervised on-job training and experience, in addition to your
                              college studies for your C&G, prior to becoming self employed.

--
                              Glenn Newton

Comment

Working...
                              X