No announcement yet.

Employer Didn't pay me! (tax write off?) Utah

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Employer Didn't pay me! (tax write off?) Utah

    Hello all,

    I'm new here out of need. An employer of mine decieded to go out of bussiness and not pay me for my last month's work. Can I write this off on my taxes? How do I do that?

    Thanks for you help,

  • #2
    Your recourse is to file a claim for unpaid wages with your state's department of labor, which will investigate and attempt to recover the wages for you. I know of nothing in the Internal Revenue Code that would allow you to take a deduction based on unpaid wages. If this employer also does not provide you with a W-2 form, you'll need to report the wages you DID receive on Form 4852 and file it with your taxes.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!