This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Work Search Contacts Texas Texas

Can someone confirm if leaving a prospective employer a voicemail inquiring if openings are available and leaving my return phone number is a valid "Work Search Contact?"

The reason I ask is because so many people don't answer their phone and just want you to leave a voicemail message.

I think so, but would like to get others' opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Das ist in der Doktor!

Sure,
    if you don’t mind getting a call from a employer saying we “thought” about giving you a job
    HOW !#&[email protected]##ing! LAZY CAN YOU GET!??

.._____________________________
    ~ I deplore stupidity,
    I’m happy to admit to mine,
    and even happier when I can point out yours.

Comment

Only one opinion matters--

What I think or what anyone else on this board thinks is of little value. This would appear to be a question best directed to Texas Workforce Commission's claims adjudicator when trying to support an argument that leaving your phone number on someone's voicemail is a valid search or application for a job. (I wouldn't think so.)

It's somewhat akin to the guy who showed up with the waistband of his pants somewhere around his crotch, his baseball cap turned sideways, and with 3 (visible) piercings other than his ears. His only words were "Y'all ain't hirin' are ya?" He must have been smarter than he looked, because he had guessed right--I wasn't hiring at that moment. (I was hiring when the next person showed up.)

Comment

It would not be a valid work search contact in my state. Texas may or may not have looser guidelines.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          Texas may or may not have looser guidelines.
          Looser than MA? Surely, you jest. Or, cbg, you jest. (My apologies to Leslie Nielsen)

Texas does not grant UI very willingly, and when they do, they expect real effort from the recipient to find a job. Phone calls don't generally cut it, especially when it's a questionable call and leaving a message on an unidentified voicemail box.

It's been a while since I worked either side of the UI fence, but I can promise you that Texas has not gotten more generous with money for people who are not making large contributions to office holders.

I'd still have to hold with the original 'myth' being 'busted'.
          Last edited by Texas709; 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Ya know I think I over reacted a little
            I apologize.
            I recall a time, as do many of us, in order to collect unemployment
            you had to fill out a card and list eight to ten places or more where you had looked for work each WEEK.
            You were to list the name, the address, the phone number, and sometimes the name of the person to whom you gave the application to.

Every two weeks you had to GO to the unemployment office, stand in in line with your little book,your cards all filled out, and wait until you were called. (And you think the DMV is slow)!!
            The lady on the other side of the counter would eyeball you up and down as if every dime of that money came out of her pocket.
            Her job was to make sure you weren’t lying about anything, and that you had indeed looked for and was available for work each week.
            You'd get your money and off you
            go and start it all over again.

Them days are over.
            Now you can look for a job via the internet, apply online, send résumés by email, send everything in by snail mail and kick back and wait for the money to roll in.
            So why not just call and see if there are any job openings ?
            That IS after all looking for work by today’s standards isn’t?

However, the look of those cards has changed little over the years,
            there is still that last line before you sign that says,
            I declare under penalty of law the above is true or correct
            And if it’s not,
            you’ve just hung yourself,
            and the state can and will hang you out to dry to serve as a lesson for all to see.

Good luck with your job search,
            my social security depends on your employment,
            and you? Well thats another story, you
            have people who think like you,
            .. to depend on for yours.
            .._______________________
            ~ Nothing is foolproof,
            to a sufficiently motivated fool.~ Benjamin Franklin
            Last edited by drruthless; 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Every once in a while, drruthless, I really love you!!!

(Don't tell anyone I said that! )
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OP here. There were some grossly inaccurate assumptions made on this thread. I will find the answer through TWC as I should have from the beginning.

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by humbled View Post
                  OP here. There were some grossly inaccurate assumptions made on this thread. I will find the answer through TWC as I should have from the beginning.
                  Assumptions ?
                  No, I don’t believe any grossly inaccurate assumptions were made on our part,
                  you made yourself quite clear,
                  .. as did we.

Like I said, I don’t see why your way is any less valid than any other.
                  But then, what I or anyone else thinks doesn’t count for squat,
                  you’re the one signing the card stating you looked for work,
                  so, it’s not our neck that’s at risk.

I will find the answer through TWC
                  Yes, that's what I believe you should have done in the first place,
                  but you asked for opinions and then didn't like what we had to say.

You will get back to us and let us know the TWC has to say about your way of searching for work won’t you ?
                  You might be on to something.
                  Good Luck.

..________________________
                  ~ We’re sorry, but the position of God has been filled.
                  There is however a job for an @sshole.
                  I applied but was turned down,…over qualified
                  Last edited by drruthless; 07-10-2011, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X