Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A business files taxes as somone else's business! Texas

I live in Texas.

I had my own business and decided to partner up with another gentleman to expand both of our interests. Close to the end of our partnership he created a corporation with a very similar name to the business i originally owned (i found out about that after we split). He sold the $100k equipment that i brought into our partnership taking the money and leaving me with a note to pay on it. There was no point in trying to collect the money left on the machine. Eventually i paid it off myself.
    Thinking this whole ordeal was behind me, I went on with my life. Some time ago the IRS calls me telling me that I owe them $65k in wages and taxes! The old partner of mine has been filing all his taxes in the name of my old business while the checks are going into the business which he created in his wife's name before our partnership dissolved. I have been served by the IRS and now I don't know what to do. The IRS doesn't seem to care that I did not file any taxes in the old business.

I don't know what to do....someone please let me know what my options are.
    Is there a law agency that can get involved to investigate? I cannot afford a lawyer to represent me. This partnership sent me back to square one.

The agency that investigates tax fraud is the IRS, so you're going to need to demonstrate to them that you are not responsible for this tax bill. Can you afford not to have an attorney?
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

You can contact your local legal aid society for a possible referral to a no cost/low cost attorney or try a local law school for referral if there is one in your area. You can also get a referral from your local or state bar assoc. Some attorneys will do a no cost/low cost initial consultation.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
      X