This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect Acreage Listed on Real Estate Tax Bill for Years Massachusetts

Hi, I live in Massachusetts and my town is currently preparing a drainage easement on my property. The surveyor was at my property today doing measurements and I notice the acreage he has is 1.70 acres which is what is listed on our current deed. I had thought we had 1.81 acres because this is the amount of land listed on our tax bills for the last 7 years that we have owned the house! I called the tax assessor's office and explained. They checked the book and page and said we do indeed have 1.70 acres. I said so I have been paying on an extra .11 acres all these years? Immediately the assessor's office said that the difference in price won't be much because the first 20,000 square feet are unbuildable?? I don't really understand what she means. Shouldn't I be reimbursed for all of these years paying extra on .11 acres that we don't have? Also - after the easement is done (which will take up approximately 1/3 of an acre of our land), am I supposed to get a real estate tax break for that? Thanks for any help you can give.
Working...
X